Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Currently Reading

Again, this meme was started by Sheila at Book Journeys and the kids' version borrowed from the awesome ladies at Teach Mentor Texts

So, this week I read:

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in our Stars by John Green.  I was sorely disappointed.  I loved Hazel, but Agustus was just too perfect; so perfect that I didn't even care about him as a person.  The plot was predictable and the themes heavy-handed too, I felt.  Maybe my expectations were just too high.

The Mighty Miss Malone

The Mighty Miss Malone by Christopher Paul Curtis.  I felt the story bogged down a bit, but I just adored Deza.  Maybe my favorite character I've read about so far this year.

It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life

It's Not About the Bike by Lance Armstrong and Sally Jenkins.  I don't know if I'll go as far as to say I "like" Lance Armstrong, but golly, if his story isn't inspiring and fascinating, then I don't know what is.

Finally,
The Watch That Ends the Night: Voices from the Titanic
The Watch that Ends the Night by Allan Wolf.  I really wanted to love this one.  I REALLY did!  but, unfortunately, I wasn't a fan. It didn't grab me at all; it was a chore to get through and I didn't care about any of the characters.  I thought the end notes were more interesting than the actual text.  I readily admit that I am in the minority here as most of the people I know who have read this LOVED it.  Just wasn't a good fit for me.

I'm currently reading:
CrowThe Dragon's Tooth (Ashtown Burials, #1)Marty McGuire (Marty McGuire #1)Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)The Lions of Little Rock

and, no, I still haven't given up on:
Life: An Exploded Diagram

This week I plan to start reading:
A Very Babymouse Christmas

and either
The Shattering or The Returning

or maybe even both.  Can't decide if I want to read the Shattering since it isn't on any of my "best-of" lists (I know, that's a lame way of deciding what to read, but it's my way and I'm sticking to it), but it really seems like something I might enjoy, and I already have it checked out. 

8 comments:

  1. Started Around the World (Matt Phelan) last night...next will be Breaking Stalin's Nose since that finally came in...and Saving Zasha...and Inside Out & Back Again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVED Around the World, but then, Nellie Bly is one of my heroes :) Can't wait to hear how you like Breaking Stalin's Nose. My hold on it just came in as well. Hope it's good!

      Delete
  2. I have The Watch That Ends the Night to read just because Jon Klassen did the cover...and because I've heard people enjoyed it, too. I'm sorry you didn't love TFiOS! I loved it. I can forgive a perfect character, I guess his imperfection was that he had cancer. I just started See You at Harry's but I have Lions of LIttle Rock, I need to read that soon, next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize Jon Klassen did the cover for The Watch That Ends the Night! That's so cool! I really wish I had enjoyed it and TFiOS more. Maybe it was just a bad reading week for me. I know I am definitely in the minority on both of those books!

      I can't wait to read See You at Harry's. I've heard it's super sad, though.

      Delete
  3. I'm reading The Lions of Little Rock this week. I was interested to see your comment on The Fault in Our Stars, since I've seen so many positive reviews on that one. Sometimes, the book is just not a good fit :) Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think TFiOS was just not a good fit for me. So many other people adore it; I really wish I had too! I hope you enjoyed The Lions of Little Rock. I just loved it to pieces :)

      Delete
  4. thank you all so much for commenting! So sorry it took me so long to aprove the comments, I'm still new at all of this blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, another The Lions of Little Rock fan. Great story, unforgettable character. Love, love that Marley.

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!