Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Currently Reading

Dude, I totally need to get on the ball with this whole blogging thing.  I had 8 comments awaiting moderation and I didn't even realize it!  Soooo sorry if you commented!  It should show up now and I will be so much better about checking for comments and such from now on!  I just never dreamed anybody would be commenting on my silly little book-musings.  Now, on to...


Make sure to check out the originals at Teach Mentor Texts and Book Journeys.

This week I read...
Marty McGuire (Marty McGuire #1)
Absolutely Adorable

The Lions of Little Rock
LOVED it!  The best historical fiction I've read in quite some time.  It examined a period and place in history that I'd never heard mentioned before and did so with a wonderfully real main character.

Crow
THIS would have been the best historical fiction I'd read in quite some time if I hadn't JUST finished The Lions of Little Rock.  Again, this novel examines circumstances in history that are utterly fascinating yet rarely studied.  The novel starts out as merely (!) a very well-written coming-of-age story, but, by the end, it has turned into so much more.

Finally, I sort of read...
The Dragon's Tooth (Ashtown Burials, #1)
I finished over half of it, but, after having numerous problems with the audio (i.e. it skipped a disc without me realizing it), I finally gave up.  It's an entertaining enough fantasy, and, although I felt no compulsion to follow the story to its end, I am sure I will be recommending it to kids at the library,

I am currently reading:
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)Where the Sidewalk Ends

I know!  It's appalling I haven't read Where the Sidewalk Ends before now!  Of the previous three, right now I'm enjoying Grave Mercy the most, but I'm not very far into the other two.

This week, I plan to start reading:
The Returning and A Very Babymouse Christmasand Code Name Verity

And, dear reader, what are YOU reading this week?

10 comments:

  1. I liked Cinder. I love Marty McGuire and Babymouse. I will have to check out Crow and Grave Mercy. You must be an amazingly fast reader. I am lucky if I can get 2 novels and a stack of picture books in during a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'm all that fast, I just spend an awful lot of time reading, haha! (plus, I generally listen to a book a week on audiobook) Babymouse is one of my most favorite characters, and I love Marty too.

      Delete
  2. I love Marty and Babymouse and I just loved Crow! I just got an email from my Public Library saying that The Lions of Little Rock is waiting for me. It's going in my Spring Break pile. Can't wait to be able to get started on that pile! Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy The Lions of Little Rock as much as I did! Yay for another lover of Marty, Babymouse, and Crow. Hope you have a great reading week :-)

      Delete
  3. I love me some great historical fiction and you are at least the second person to recommend Lions of Little Rock and Crow.

    I'm glad you read Marty- she is one of my favorite characters!

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, The Lions of Little Rock and Crow are definitely worth reading ESPECIALLY if you love historical fiction. I feel like a lot of HF for youth is written about the same few time periods, so it's certainly refreshing to have some books about important historical milestones that are rarely discussed.

      Delete
  4. I just read The Lions of Little Rock this week an also loved it :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad to find others who loved The Lions of Little Rock as much as I did :-)

      Delete
  5. I need to read Lions of Little Rock! I meant to read it but other books jumped in the way. Marty McGuire is so much fun. I'm excited for the second in the series. I keep hearing people talking about Cinder but it doesn't look appealing to me from the cover! Can't wait to hear what you think. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly know how it is to have other books jump in the way! I've had some sitting on my desk all year just waiting for me to read them, haha!

      I can't wait to read the second Marty McGuire book. I've heard it's fantastic!

      Delete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!