Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Currently Reading


Lovingly borrowed from Teach Mentor Texts and originated by Book Journey.

First off, Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl is the funniest book I have ever read.  Absolutely hilarious (seriously, read it.)

Now that I've got that off my chest, I would like to spend a brief moment on picture books.  I read an awful lot of picture books.  I read 30 this last week.  I'll mention a picture book from time to time, probably, but this last group was dismal.  I don't think I can muster the energy to even write about them any more, so if you are morbidly curious as to what they are, just take a glance at my little Goodreads widgit thingy over that-a-way ---->

So, this week  I read:
Me and Earl and the Dying GirlThe Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)On the Day I Died
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews - like I said, hilarious, but definitely for older teens and adults.
The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson - Fantastic fantasy novel with rich characters, a vivid setting, great pacing, and a refreshingly unique study of religion.
and On the Day I Died by Candace Fleming - genuinely creepy stories filled with interesting historic tidbits.
(I read Me and Earl and On the Day via Netgalley which is AWESOME for letting me read such amazing books before they are published)

I also reread:
Looking for Alaska
Looking for Alaska by John Green. See here for what I thought about that.

If you're friends with me on Goodreads or take a gander at my BOOKS READ IN 2012 page, you will notice that I LOVED all four of these books and rated them 4 1/2 stars each.  What a great reading week!

this week I started reading:
Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to LifeThe Fault in Our Stars
Is that second book an ADULT book, you ask?  Why yes.  Yes, it is.  Why am I reading an adult book?  Well, because my fella asked me to, and he doesn't ask for much, so I am buckling down and reading a book that is not geared specifically to kids or teens for the first time in almost a year.
Also, I'm on page 6 of  The Fault in our Stars and I am already in love with it.

I am continuing to read (or TRYING to continue to read might be more appropriate):
The Watch That Ends the Night: Voices from the TitanicThe Mighty Miss MaloneLife: An Exploded Diagram

I will definitely finish The Mighty Miss Malone, but I'm almost ready to give up on the other two.  Just not feeling any excitement for them which is a particular shame about The Watch that Ends the Night as Allan Wolf is a local author who I've met and think is WONDERFUL.  Oh well. Just too many good books to read. Ack!

This week, I'm going to try very hard to read:
Crow

and....that's it.  Happy reading!

7 comments:

  1. That's it? That's a ton of books! I'm not one for ghost stories, but I really loved what Candace Fleming did with On The Day I Died. Yay for TFiOS!!!! I love John Green but this one is my favorite. It is absolutely brilliant. I have Watch That Ends The Night coming on audio at my library. I think what I love is that the cover is done by Jon Klassen. I keep eyeing Lions of LIttle Rock but haven't gotten to it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hearing great things about Earl, it is definitely on my TBR list! The Fault in Our Stars is a heartbreaker. Keep the tissues nearby. Here's my list http://wp.me/pzUn5-Sg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy Earl as much as I did :) TFiOS wasn't my favorite book I've read this year, but it did, indeed, make me cry! Thanks for the warning!

      Delete
  3. Amelia Lost...Worst of Friends (picture book). Your dedication to YA lit is amazing...I'm far too selfish with my reading & read too much adult stuff for my own benefit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you loved Ameila Lost. Candace Fleming is my absolute favorite!

      Delete
  4. Wow- what a great sell on Earl- I have heard it was funny, but you sold me on it.

    How far have you gotten in The Watch that Ends the Night? I loved that book and I'd say keep trying, but different books are for different people.

    It looks like you have a great historical fiction week ahead of you :) They are both on my TBR and I really want to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you liked Earl - it's definitely not for everyone :)

      I finished The Watch That Ends the Night. Unfortunately it wasn't a good fit for my tastes, but I totally see why other people love it.

      The two historical fiction MG novels were FABULOUS! 2012 is such a great year for books!

      Delete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!