Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Currently Reading 4/16/12

hey Guys, Guess what?  it's time for...

Hosted by the wonderful Teach Mentor Texts (and the adult one is hosted by Book Journeys).  Check them out!

This week I only managed to read 2 books, but what books they were!  First, I read:
Code Name Verity
Which slowly managed to become my favorite book of 2012 (so far).  It's so cleverly done that I can't really tell you that much about it or I'll spoil the wonderful experience of discovering all the cleverness yourself.  I mean, I can't even tell you the main character's name or I'll ruin a very emotional part of the book! I thought I was completely sick and tired of World War II historical fiction (I am one of the few who is not head over heals for The Book Thief, although I do like it well enough).  Really and truly, though, if you read one book I've had on my blog thus far, read this one.  It's published next month (I read an ARC via the ARC fairies who send my library a big box of yet-to-be-published teen books every month or so.)

I also read:
Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)
Which is about nun assassins, and, really, what more do you need to know other than that?  This book is so much fun and well-worth reading.  I was kind of bothered by its mixing of politics and religion, but I don't suppose one is supposed to think about that too much in a book such as this.  The characters are awesome, the world is well-realized and the story is engrossing.  It's even a quick read at 500+ pages.  I feel like it's a Megan Whalen Turner book for people who think Megan Whalen Turner books are too literary.  My one complaint is I really really really wish there was an end note so I would know what was true to history and what was a part of LaFevers' fantastic imagination.  Maybe the actual book has one, I hope?  I read the ARC from the ARC fairies who are being particularly good to me this year.

I'm still plugging away on:
Delirium (Delirium, #1) Fat Kid Rules the World Life: An Exploded Diagram
Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1) Solace of the Road
I really need to finish Solace of the Road so I can do my next adventure and post things other than It's Monday, What are You Reading? on my blog!

I AM DETERMINED to finish Life, an Exploded Diagram this week.  I must!

Still planning on starting
Ruby Red The Disenchantments The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
and maybe The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things
No, I will never be able to read all of these books in one week, but I always have bigger reading goals than I can possibly realize, and I'm sure y'all are used to that by now.

Happy reading!

17 comments:

  1. That is quite an endorsement for Code Name Verity--will have to check it out!

    --Lorna (@notforlunch)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope you like it as much as I did!

      Delete
  2. Grave Mercy sounds intriguing, and wow, what a cover! It's beautiful.

    I read and enjoyed My Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things. It was surprisingly deep for a YA read. Dealt with loads of romantic, friend, and self drama. I would like to see more books like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Grave Mercy cover is accurate to the story too. She really does wear a dress like that and use a huge cross bow!

      Good to hear that you enjoyed The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things. I'm reading it for my goal to finish all the Printz winners/honors, but there have been quite a few Printz books that have been tough to get through!

      Delete
  3. I ordered Code Name Verity for my collection after one of your enthusiastic posts! Looking forward to reading it. My e-galley of Grave Mercy expired before I have a chance to read it so now I am waiting on the real deal. Please read Ruby Red! I have so much book love that book. Here is my list http://wp.me/pzUn5-W6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be happy to send you my ARC of Grave Mercy if you'd like :)

      Can't wait to read Ruby Red! It looks fantastic!

      Delete
  4. Code Name Verity, welcome to my reading list. Sadly my list is 2/3 "to read" because I have a much larger desire to read than time to actually do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know what you mean! I have over 500 books marked "to-read" I'll never get to all of them! Hope you like Code Name Verity. It's YA but I think it's a great crossover title for people who don't normally read YA. Great developmentof characters and themes.

      Delete
  5. I went right to NetGalley and requested CODE NAME. Now.... when do I fit it in????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are way more books to read than time in which to read them! Hope you like Code Name Verity. I obviously think it's good, but I'm eager to hear other people's opinions on it!

      Delete
  6. My TBR pile is simply out of control. I am juggling so many books it isn't funny. I need to get to so many of the ones you have read. But my first priority is Black Heart on audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I have so many books checked out from my library right now, it isn't even funny. Can't wait to hear what you think of Black Heart. Hope it lives up to the other books in the series.

      Delete
  7. I am so in awe of how many books you can read at one time- I just cannot do it!
    Ruby Red is an awesome book- I cannot wait for the sequel!
    Delirium is quite good, too, although I hear the 2nd is even better!
    And my request for Code Name Verity is in on Netgalley.

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read Ruby Red, I've heard such good things. I'm enjoying Delirium and definitely want to read Pandemonium too! Can't wait to hear what you think of Code Name Verity! hope you enjoy it too :)

      Delete
  8. I hope you make it through Delirium, because the 2nd book in the series (trilogy?), Pandemonium, is even better than the first. I loved it!

    I love the sound of the 2 books you've read this week -- YA books have become my new hobby. They're perfect reads on my Kindle. Adding both titles to my TBR list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to start Pandemonium! I keep hearing is amazing! I love YA books too. They seem so much less pretentious and more entertaining than most adult books :)

      Delete
  9. Code Name Verify looks really interesting - new one to me.

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!