Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Currently Reading 4/23


Originally started by Book Journeys and the children's version started by the ladies at Teach Mentor Texts.

This week I finished:
The Disenchantments
It's not terribly deep, but it's utterly delightful and a lot of fun.  A sort of quintessential YA novel with all the good and not-so-good qualities that label entails.  Road trips, unattainable dream girls, quirky supporting characters, and lots of worry and hope about the future.  Highly recommended.

Life: An Exploded Diagram
Yes, I FINALLY finished it!  It only took me 6 months! The writing was lovely but it read more like adult literary fiction than a YA novel.  There's a plain and simple reason why I don't read adult novels: I don't like them.  I find them not as entertaining and streamlined as the books for the younger people and often pretentious and full of unneccessary divergents and not-as-likable characters. I can fully see myself recommending this novel to adults (it really is VERY well-written), but I only see the most precocious of teens loving it.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
Another YA novel that is not terrible profound but still so much fun to read.  The plot is unrealistic but sweet, the characters not original but still likable, the themes handled fairly well even if they aren't anything new.

Solace of the Road
Will post more on my reread of this one later in the week. Suffice it to say, Siobhan Dowd is STILL one of my very favorite YA authors.

Still plugging along on:
Delirium (Delirium, #1) Fat Kid Rules the World Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)
Very nearly done with Delirum which I will post more about next week.

This week, I plan on reading:
The Beautiful Stories of Life: Six Greeks Myths, Retold The Zodiac Killer: Terror and Mystery A Treasury of Xxth Century Murder: The Lives of Sacco and Vanzetti
The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things  There Is No Dog

and yes, I still really want to get started on: Ruby Red (Edelstein Trilogie, #1)

Not looking forward to There is No Dog AT ALL, but it's gotten 4 starred reviews (the last time I checked) and is getting Printz buzz so I guess I had better read it.

4 comments:

  1. Lots of great ideas as I build my YA TBR. Reading should be enjoyable . . . I love your summary of why you don't like adult books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your choices are very diverse this week! I haven't heard much about There is No Dog, but I might check it out. Maybe it will surprise you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wanting to know more YA titles, so your list is helpful here. Delirium has been on my list for a while. There Is No Dog is a title I haven't heard, so I'll go look it up on GR.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog today! I really appreciate it! Look forward to sharing more books with you on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep seeing Statistical Probability but then forget about it. It looks like fun. I read a NetGalley of From What I Remember... and loved it. I wonder if it is at all similar. The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things was way different than I expected - much more mature than I had expected, but still good.

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!