Pages

Monday, April 9, 2012

Currently Reading 4/9/12

It's time for:
Curtesy of Teach Mentor Texts and
                                                                                      Book Journeys


I did so much better this week then last.  I finished 98 (!) books since last Monday.  Of course, the vast majority of those were picture books, but, still, it was so much better than the meager offering I had from last week! 
As far as longer-ish books go, I finished:
The Returning
Oh my gosh, where to start. The writing was so odd - it felt like every third sentence had been deleted. I kept having to reread portions of the book to figure out what was going on, and even then, I was lost half the time. Seemingly important storylines are dropped, never to return. I never felt like I "got" any of the characters. The narrative skips around with so many viewpoints, that I wasn't able understand anyone well. None of the emotions seemed true to me - not the friendships, not the "romance," not the wanderlust, the fear, or the guilt. The plot has so many tangents, that the pacing is disjointed and glacial. It took me ages to finish it, and I probably would have given up had it not been a Printz honor book. I know people who adore it, but it just wasn't for me.

Same Difference
Really enjoyed this one.  I felt like it said a lot in a very few pages.  Very honest with great illustrations.

Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute (Lunch Lady, #1)
My first encounter with Lunch Lady and I was just completely enamored with the silly, imaginative plot.  So much fun and I adored it, but not quite as much as I adored...

A Very Babymouse Christmas
I just love Babymouse.  She may be my favorite character in all of MG literature.  I've loved all the babymouse GNs and this was no exception.

Where the Sidewalk Ends
Such creative poems.  There is some fantastic stuff in here, but I could only take it in short doses.  I had to read a few pages at a time then take a break or everything just got too silly, absurd, and
rhyme-y.

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)
It was definitely entertaining although there was a bit too much info-dumping (which is often a problem is this type of novel, I've found.  Just so much world-building details to get across - this time curtesy of the resident mad-scientist-alien-doctor-person). I also wish there was a more vivid setting and more evil villains.  I loved the idea of it taking place in China of the future, but I wish more of Oriental culture was incorporated.  The good characters were great, I just felt like I should have hated the villains more than I did.  Finally, I felt like it's connection to Cinderella was a bit tenuous, but a cyborg fairy tale is a grand idea.  I will be recommending this book a lot, especially to the those who are looking for a less-violent Hunger Games type novel.

Breaking Stalin's Nose
Maybe I've been reading too many Hunger Games read-alikes, but this book sure reads a lot like a dystopian novel to me, even though it's historical fiction.  Fascination tale, but I felt like the execution didn't *quite* meet the ideal.  It very nearly does, but there were certain section when I just did not buy that this protagonist would act in the way he did, and it took me out of the story.  Still, it's mighty powerful for such a quick read.

Finally, I finished my reread of:
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Loved it just as much the second time.  A great book to reread.

AND.... That's it!  That was my reading week. I'm off for most of this week, so I plan to get lots of reading done (hopefully a #bookaday).  Here's the books I'm currently reading:

Code Name Verity
I am ALMOST finished with this one, and I simply adore it.  It's like historical fiction and war and mystery all wound together with two of the BEST characters in all of teen fiction.  SO GOOD.

Delirium (Delirium, #1)
So far, Lena thinks WAYYYY too much.

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)
About half-way through, hopefully I'll finish it tomorrow.  It's uber-fun although the politics are a bit mystifying.

Life: An Exploded Diagram
I read about 50 pages this week!  I am making progress!  Only 75 left!

Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)
Taking a sabbatical on this one since it is my "break" book that I read at work and, as I mentioned, I'm off this week!

Fat Kid Rules the World
I've promised myself that, by the end of this year, I will have read all of the Printz books.  I have 17 to go, including this one.

Plus, I'm rereading:
Solace of the Road

Hopefully, I'll start reading:
Ruby Red The Disenchantments and maybe The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

6 comments:

  1. I read an ARC of Fat Kid Rules the World when I was in junior high/high school, I can't remember which. I enjoyed it, and I think it has stuck with me because it was so drastically different than anything else I'd ever read and looked into a subculture I knew nothing about and had never experienced before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love Luch Lady and Babymouse. They are two of my favorite graphic novel series. And you can't go wrong with Where the Sidewalk Ends. I enjoyed Breaking Stalin's Nose, but it's not one that I would pick up again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Ruby Red and I can't wait for Sapphire Blue! I understand what you are saying about Cinder. I really enjoyed the story, but I hope that the next ones have more...something. Not exactly sure what, but something. I hope my e-book copy Grave Mercy hasn't expired yet. I will hopefully get to it this week. Here's my list http://wp.me/pzUn5-Vc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny - I really liked Breaking Stalin's Nose and could think of ways to use it as a read aloud with kids.

    I really enjoyed Cinder - it was a fun read and loved the concept of a cyborg Cinderella. And wow! 98 books. I was impressed with my 67 books. I so need to buckle down and focus. Great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 98 books! I know lots were picture books, but still...98 books?! That's amazing. I just saw "word-building" on another post and now here. I like that term, I hadn't heard it until tonight. There is so much to figure out with new dystopians. It makes realistic fiction seem to read so fast. Thanks for sharing some of your 98 books!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great list! I'm looking forward to reading Cinder and Breaking Stalin's Nose.

    Oh, and with 98 books Aly will definitely have to share her reading rock star crown with you- impressive!

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!