Pages

Friday, May 11, 2012

Adventure #2: Solace of the Road

Yesterday, I experienced my second adventure.

In Solace of the Road (see my review here), main character Holly Hogan grabs her foster mom's blond wig and runs away from home, searching for her mother.

I already know where my mother is, so I scrapped the running away part of the equation and instead merely stole the wearing-a-blong-wig part for my second adventure.

Here is me in the aforementioned blong wig:



Here is me at work in the aforementioned blond wig:


I forgot to smile
 In the novel, Holly's wig makes her appear and feel older and more sophisticated.  My blond wig didn't necessarily make me feel more sophisticated, but it did make me feel prettier.   I constantly struggle with trying to ignore those beauty messages that our culture sends, and I think there is just something about long blond hair that seems synonymous with beauty in our culture, much more so than the straggly short brown hair that I usually sport.  Mostly, though, I just felt silly walking around in a blond wig.  I don't quite have the confidence or chutzpah to pull it off.

The most fun part was seeing people's reactions who knew me.  The wig was a big hit at the morning staff meeting at the library where I work.  I, however, spent the entire meeting with a face as red as a beet trying to be as unnoticeable as possible (again, my decided lack of chutzpah was quite evident).  Mostly people I know just looked at me and grinned, not quite sure what to make of me.  I got many compliments on the blond hair, and lots of questions of "are you having more fun as a blond?"  Nobody was cruel or dismissive (which probably has more to do with the fact that the people I work with are used to me doing goofy things).

Unlike Holly's experience, the people I interacted with who didn't know me didn't treat me the slightest bit differently than they did when I looked like my normal self (which I thought was curious, if a bit anticlimactic). 

Adventure status: successfully accomplished

Price of adventure: $0 (I actually already owned the blond wig).

Time of adventure: I wore the wig for about 6 hours, then it got too hot and itchy.
All in all, it was an interesting adventure, but I don't think I'll be wearing a blond wig again any time soon.  Not enough chutzpah.

2 comments:

  1. “All The Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
    Layin' In The Sun,
    Talkin' 'Bout The Things
    They Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda Done...
    But All Those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
    All Ran Away And Hid
    From One Little Did.”
    ― Shel Silverstein
    You are whip cream & sprinkles! You bring so much joy & fun to this world! I love you with all my heart always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Make-up can only make you look pretty on the outside but it doesn't help if your ugly on the inside. Unless you eat the make-up.”
    ― Audrey Hepburn
    You don't have to eat your makeup. You're pretty on the outside and the inside! I love you always.

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!