Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Currently Reading 5/14/12

It's time for: hosted by Book Journeys and Teach Mentor Texts

Not the best reading week for me.  Only finished 3 books and didn't unabashedly adore any of them.

There Is No Dog

There is No Dog by Meg Rosoff: The writing is nice, but I didn't feel like there was enough development of either the characters or the themes.  A very intriguing premise that could have been more deftly explored.

Ruby Red (Edelstein Trilogie, #1)

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier: This book is made by the characters of Gwyneth and her friend Lesley.  They are just so much fun!  This definitely reads like the first book in a series: lots of exposition and not a whole lot of action.  Not sure if I'll read the next book in the series or not.  The plot is definitely interesting, but books about time travel confuse me.

Wonder

Wonder by R.J. Palacio: What a crowdpleaser.  I definitely understand why this book has been getting so much buzz.  It's a sweet, heartwarming story that has great characters and is quite well-written.  Unfortunately for me, it has very little to do with real life.  The biggest compliment I can give a book is that it is real; the plot of this book is simply too good to be true.  I will most definitely be recommending it to kids because I think it's a great picture of how life *should* be, but it will never fall on the list of my favorites because it is simply too nice.  Loved Mr. Tushman's graduation speech though.

I'm currently reading:

Liar & Spy Harriet the Spy The Miseducation of Cameron Post Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)  The Humming Room
Liar and Spy by Rebecca Stead
Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth
Unspoken by Sarah Rees Breenan
The Humming Room by Ellen Potter
It's my first time reading Harriet the Spy!  Not sure I'll be able to finish Unspoken before it expires (got it from Netgalley).  I am sure, however, that I will not finish Cameron Post this week.  Have you seen how thick it is?  I mean, really?

This week I plan to read:

Hard Love BZRK Chopsticks Marty McGuire Digs Worms! Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians)

Hard Love by Ellen Wittlinger
BZRK by Michael Grant
Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony and Rodrigo Corral
Marty McGuire Digs Worms by Kate Messner
Hades: Lord of the Dead by George O'Connor
I *think* I will be able to finish all of these, but I don have a tendency to over-estimate my reading each week so, we'll see.

20 comments:

  1. The only book image that came though our school website was Liar and Spy - I have purchased this for my summer reading list, since everyone seems to love it so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so weird because I got all of the images from the same place. Odd that one would come through and not the rest! Oh well, I will never understand computers! I'll write in the titles though in case that happens to anyone else.

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing how you like The Humming Room & the Rebecca Stead book. I've seen several people who are reading those, & wonder about them. There are a lot of books on your list that I'll try, but will ignore those first two. Not enough time for those who don't exactly work. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I'm loving The Humming Roon and Liar & Spy. We'll see where I fall when I've read them all! The first two books weren't horrible, but there are lots I'll be recommending before them!

      Delete
  3. Some weeks are better than others, right? I'm reading the Humming Room right now, and fell into it quickly. I keep doing the "just one more chapter" thing and finding I'm up way past my bedtime. Have you read the original The Secret Garden? I'll be interested to see what you think

    Maria @novalibrarymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read the Secret Garden, and liked it well enough but didn't complete adore it. So far I'm loving The Humming Room. I feel like this might be Ellen Potter's best written novel.

      Delete
  4. I have heard from another parent that Wonder wasn't clicking for her daughter. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on it! I'm a huge Marty McGuire fan . . . it's nice to have non-fairy/princess beginning chapter book options for girls. You've got some great looking books on deck . . . have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marty McGuire is great! I just love her. You're right, it's nice to have a tomboy protagonist for a change. Wonder is a good book, but there isn't a book published that's right for everyone.

      Delete
  5. Wow, you cover a lot of territory in one week!!

    Harriet the Spy was one of my all-time favorites when I was a kid. Interestingly, when I read it to my sons, they didn't like it as much - they thought Harriet was mean. Guess I brought them up right!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. You really should read the Wake trilogy - it's intense, but I loved it!

    Enjoy your books this week -

    Sue

    Great Books for Kids and Teens

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely try the Wake trilogy. It looks really good. I did think Harriet was kind of mean, but I still enjoyed the book!

      Delete
  6. I keep seeing The Humming Room and now I'm kicking myself for not requesting it when I had the chance. I hope you love it just as much as everyone else seems to be!

    Love your selection of books! Enjoy and thanks so much for stopping by earlier! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about 50 pages into The Humming Room and enjoying it very much!

      Delete
  7. Hmm that is a different take on Wonder. I plan to read it to my class in July/August so it will be interesting to see how they respond. I feel it will engender discussion.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely a lot to discuss in the book, especially for students. I bet they will enjoy the book, I can think of lots of kids I will be recommending it to even though it wasn't my favorite.

      Delete
  8. Yours is the first review I have seen that is somewhat negative in regards to Wonder. I'm surprised you think it's too good to be true, Auggie goes through some pretty horrible moments in 5th grade that I wouldn't consider to be even remotely too good to be true. It does all end up being a happy ending but there are lots of bumps along the way. My student, Michelle, who has a similar cranio-facial disorder to Auggie's really realated to the story, as did her mother and her sister. They have the best attitude and love for each other I have ever experienced in a family even though they also have had some really hard times in the few years I have known Michelle.

    Obviously, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions, and I don't mean to say that you have to be in love with the book, I just wanted to share my perspective because I believe RJ Palacio wrote a very real and very wonderful story in Wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, leave it to me to be difficult :). I really do like the book (I gave it 4 stars). I loved the family too, it's just that ending I can't stomach. It's as if all of Auggie's problems get wiped away. He does undergo some hardships in 5th grade, but even with those, I didn't feel the emotional gut wrenchingness that I have felt in many other books about bullying. Wish we could talk about this in person, it's so hard for me to type what I feel about the book! I think you would agree that it is a nice book, and nice books just aren't to my taste. Give me gritty and angsty any old day!

      Delete
  9. I can see how you feel about the ending of Wonder. I was kind of dubious about it too. But given the awful hand that Auggie was dealt in life and the heart-wrenching journey we take with him through the novel, I think readers would feel defeated if it ended anything other than happily. Was the happy ending a tad bit overkill? Maybe, but at the same time, I think it was necessary to help readers feel like karma finally dealt Auggie the right hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely see your point. The happy ending did provide a kind of balance to what happened earlier in the book. It just rang false to me. Would have probably given the book 5 stars if it had just ended about 30 pages soon!

      Delete
  10. I own both There Is No Dog and Ruby Red, but haven't gotten around to reading them yet. I'm sad that you didn't love either of them! Ruby Red sounds like my type of read though, because I usually like books about time travel. I have Unspoken on my Kindle, waiting to be read! It sounds so good, and I was so excited to get accepted for it! I'm looking forward to reading your review. I hope that next week will be better for you, in reading terms! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely still read There is No Dog and Ruby Red. Just because I didn't love then doesn't mean you won't! I think they are both well written, I just had some problems with them. I'm loving Unspoken so far! Can't wait til it's published so I can recommend it to the teens at my library :)

      Delete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!