Pages

Monday, May 21, 2012

Currently Reading 5/21/12

First, I want to clear up one thing.  I feel like what I wrote was a bit hard on Wonder last week.  Believe me, I really did like the book, I just had some reservations, and, unfortunately, I tend to write more about my reservations than what I like (especially with that book since it has gotten so much praise in other quarters!)  I still feel very strongly about those reservations, but that didn't keep me from enjoying the book.  Anyway, it's a good book and you should read it too!

Now, on to today's:

This past week I read:
Harriet the Spy
Harriet the Spy: It's a fun story and I liked reading it (I see why it is a classic), but gosh Harriet is not very nice.  It is kind of fun to have sort of a kid antihero to root (or not root) for and I think there was a realness about her that isn't present in a lot of kid protagonists.  Would have been completely on board with the story if it had a different ending.

The Humming Room
The Humming Room: Really enjoyed this one.  Have heard some people say it was too short but I really liked the consiseness (I love short books).  Roo was a great character; the plot was a reverential homage to The Secret Garden while still being different enough to remain exciting, and the writing was lovely and bordering on poetry.  It's not one of my absolute favorite MG novels, but it's a very pleasant read.

Liar & Spy

Liar & Spy: I just love Stead's writing.  When You Reach Me is one of my top 10 MG Novels of All Time.  I didn't love this one AS much but I did really enjoy it.  Georges seemed very real and the supporting characters were quirky and fun (but not TOO quirky and fun).  I thought the problems were dealt with well and the "twist" ending was a gentle surprise while fitting in with the rest of the story.  The ending was a bit too tidy, but, then again, I seem to have that complaint with a lot of books (see Wonder).

Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians)
Hades Lord of the Dead: Love this series.  This was a unique take on the Persephone myth (one of my favs) which I quite like.  Made Persephone less of a victim.  Can't wait to see which Olympian O'Connor will tackle next!

Chopsticks
Chopsticks: Talk about a unique book.  Really liked the different format this book took, telling the story mostly in pictures.  Don't think the "twist" ending quite worked completely, but I still loved that it was included.  Definitely not a book one should read quickly, you have to really study the pictures to get the full impact.

Marty McGuire Digs Worms!
Marty McGuire Digs Worms: Love Marty McGuire.  I question that a real school would allow a worm chest in a lunchroom (wouldn't it be a health code violation?  Plus I'm picturing all sorts of elementary students putting worms in others foods or down their shirts).  Anyway, it was a fun story and, as in the first book, Marty is a fabulous character.  Let's hear it for tomboys!

I also read some fantastic picture books this week included (but not limited to):
Here Come the Girl Scouts!: The Amazing All-True Story of  Juliette 'Daisy' Gordon Low and Her Great Adventure Mrs. Harkness and the Panda Hurry and the Monarch Green Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
Here Come the Girl Scouts!
MRs. Harkness and the Panda
Hurry and the Monarch
Green
Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons

I am currently reading:
Hard Love The Diary of a Young Girl The FitzOsbornes at War (The Montmaray Journals, #3) The Miseducation of Cameron Post Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)
Hard Love
The Diary of a Young Girl
The FitzOsbornes at War
The Miseducation of Cameron Post
Unspoken

Really loving all of them.  Thought I would hate Anne Frank's Diary but I'm not!  It's still gonna take me forever to finish Cameron Post and Unspoken and The FitzOsbornes at war (Almost 600 pages!).  Have you read the Montmaray Journals series?  They are so good!  Such a fantastic voice. 

Plan to start this week:
BZRK
Bzrk: I know I've had this on the list for 3 weeks now, but I'm really going to start it this week, I promise!

The Boy on Cinnamon Street
The Boy on Cinnamon Street: Wasn't completely carazy about Stone's last book, but this one has gotten some sensational reviews.

Double
Double: I heart mysteries so I have high expectations for this one.

The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #1)
The Boyfriend List: High expectations for this one as well.  LOVE and ADORE Frankie Landau-Banks (my favorite teen novel OF ALL TIME)

and.. that's it!  What are you reading this week?

9 comments:

  1. Wow! Tons of great books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved Frankie Landau-Banks. The Ruby Oliver series is very enjoyable as well, but not nearly as brilliant. I hope you aren't disappointed. Loved BZRK. Creep-tastic. I am working on all of my unfinished series-Kane Chronicles, Hush, Hush, and Iron Fey. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much great reading! I'm planning to add the Diary of Anne Frank to my re-read pile for the summer. Glad you got to Here Come the Girl Scouts; Shana Corey does such a great job with that format. And, I found Harriet to be pretty annoying, too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many of the books you talked about I loved. I really enjoyed The Humming Room and Ellen Potter's writing is beautiful. And though I thoroughly enjoyed Marty McGuire, there would be no worm compost container in my school lunchroom. That is just one big disaster waiting to happen. And Hades by George O'Connor was very good. I love how he tends to tie in other things into what you thought you knew about the characters. Happy reading....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am overloaded by your list and don't know what to comment on first.....
    Okay- LOVE Marty McGuire and I think the 2nd was as good, if not better, than the first.
    So intrigued by Chopsticks- since my mother is a photographer and my dad runs art museums, anything to do with art grabs my interest.
    Hades is my favorite O'Connor GN so far (but I am bias since the Persephone myth is my favorite).
    I'm glad you enjoyed Humming Room. I thought it was a great companion and complement to The Secret Garden.
    And wasn't Here Comes the Girl Scouts great?!?! So well done.
    I think that's it :)

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many great books here! I loved Marty McGuire Digs Worms! Humming Room was wonderful! Ellen Potter is a very talented writer. Double sounds interesting! Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. BZRK is on my summer reading list. I look forward to reading it. You have a very varied reading list, I often try to read from all the different genres and reading levels, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have Cameron Post sitting on my TBR pile. I was excited when it came in for me, but I haven't started it yet.

    Hades Lord of the Dead looks pretty cool, I'll have to add it to my never ending list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A busy week! I reread Anne Frank a few years ago after first reading around 8th grade. A very personal book, no pun intended.

    On a totally separate note, Shana Corey is one of my new favorite finds, and I'm reading and enjoying everything she writes.

    Maria @ novalibrarymom.com

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!