Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

Currently Reading 5/28/12

I had grand plans for getting up early on this, my day off, and posting my:


Unfortunately, I chose to sleep in and finish reading Jenny Valentine's Double before I posted.  Oh well, one day I will post it early!
P.S. It's Monday!  What Are You Reading? is hosted by the lovely ladies at Teach Mentor Texts and was started by Sheila at Book Journey.


This past week I read:

Hard Love
Hard Love by Ellen Wittlinger: Loved it.  Not sure I actually liked the protagonist, but he, along with the relationships and emotions, were very real.  Interesting peek into the world of the "zine" (are they still popular?  I don't hear about them anymore).

Forgive Me, I Meant to Do It: False Apology Poems
Forgive Me, I Meant to Do It  by Gail Carson Levine: I loved the idea more than the excution, but, still, there were a few great poems in the mix.  Not sure how well it will circulate at my library, but I sure would use it if I were an English teacher.

The Boy on Cinnamon Street
The Boy on Cinnamon Street by Phoebe Stone: I liked it very much.  It bordered on predictable, but still managed to surprise me.  A bit of a pat ending, but I loved all of the characters.

The Diary of a Young Girl
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank: I was dreading reading this; I only read it because it is such a classic.  Surprisingly, I would up loving it.  Anne Frank's writing is still so real - every one of the emotions she wrote about rang true and I could relate to her even though we have vastly different circumstances.  Her writing about living in the annex was a fascinating historical document, but I felt like where her talent truly shown through was when she was writing about typical teenager concerns and her own philosophical musings.

Double
Double by Jenny Valentine: Very well done mystery.  It's not the type of mystery where you try to figure out what happens, but it's engrossing and mysterious just the same.  I wish the protagonist had figured out more of the solution (he is simply told what happened by another character) but the plot still manages to be menacing and thrilling.

Great picture books I read this week:
Oh No, George! Boy and Bot If Rocks Could Sing: A Discovered Alphabet
Oh No, George! by CHris Haughton
Boy + Bot by Ame Dyckman and Dan Yaccarino
If Rocks Could Sing: A Discovered Alphabet by Lelslie McGuirk

Currently reading:

Still reading the huge 3:

Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1) The FitzOsbornes at War (The Montmaray Journals, #3) The Miseducation of Cameron Post
Unspoken by Sarah Rees Breenan
The FitzOsbornes at War by Michelle Cooper
The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth

I will finish them one day.

Also reading:
BZRK The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #1)
BZRK by Michael Grant
The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart

and rereading:

Code Name Verity
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
I love it even more the second time.

This coming week I will read something from this stack of books:


Leaning toward

Sadie and Ratz Same Sun Here The Fairy Ring: Or Elsie and Frances Fool the World
Sadie and Ratz by Sonya Hartnett
Same Sun Here by Silas House and Nella Vaswani
The Fairy Ring by Mary Losure


2 comments:

  1. Glad that Diary of a Young Girl exceeded your expectations. I love it when books you're not sure about end up that way. Same Sun Here is on my TBR and I'm *hoping* Boy + Bot finally makes an appearance on my hold shelf at the library. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be hard to read biographical texts, like Anne Frank, where you know how it's going to end...and dread it. But there's something so poignant about her words. It's one of those books that just has to be read. I read Same Sun Here a few weeks ago and was "eh" about it. It just didn't pull me in. But I've seen alot of people who really enjoy it, so that may just be my personal preference. It does touch on some very current issues and I could see it being a good book for discussion. Will be interested to hear your thoughts!

    Maria @novalibrarymom.com

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!