Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Currently Reading 5/7/12

Last week I wasn't able to participate in:

due to family stuff, so I have two weeks worth of books to get through today!  As always, make sure to visit the initiators of this wonderful meme: Sheila at Book Journeys and the ladies at Teach Mentor Texts.

Ok, so the last two weeks, I have read: The Beautiful Stories of Life: Six Greeks Myths, Retold A Treasury of Xxth Century Murder: The Lives of Sacco and Vanzetti The Zodiac Killer: Terror and Mystery Delirium (Delirium, #1) Fat Kid Rules the World Solace of the Road Boy21 The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things

In the order of how much I liked them:
1. Solace of the Road (see review here)
2. Fat Kid Rules the World - characters are amazingly well-drawn.  The dad gets my vote for Best Parent in YA fiction.
3. Boy 21 - again, great characters.  Quick's books always have so much heart.
4. The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things - the ending's a little to nicely tied up, but Virginia is a great character.
5. Delirium - not sure I completely buy the premise, but Oliver's writing is BEAUTIFUL!
6. The Lives of Sacco and Vanzetti- LOVE this series of graphic novels.  This is the weakest in the group though, in my opinion.
7. The Zodiac Killer - imformative but a little too simplistic.
8. Beautiful Stories of Life - servicable but nothing particularly special about this retelling of Greek myths.

but each one is 3 stars or above for me.  It's been two good weeks of reading.

Now, I'm currently reading:
Ruby Red (Edelstein Trilogie, #1)  Liar & Spy There Is No Dog Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)

and, drumroll please,

Wonder yes, I finally got my hands on *the* book of 2012, and it's every bit as good as everyone says.

This week, I hope to finish most of these books I'm reading and get started on:

The Humming Room The Miseducation of Cameron Post Hard Love BZRK

17 comments:

  1. Awesome books! I LOVED Delirium! It is one of my favorite books I read last year. I actually read and listened to the audiobook. I don't often love a book enough to listen and read it on separate occasions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delirium is so good! I listened to the audiobook too. I thought the narrator was fabulous. She put so much emotion into her voice!

      Delete
  2. You have some great books here, it looks like you will enjoy your week of reading! I rather enjoyed The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things, I thought it was a very real portrayal of a teen and her family during both daily life and crisis. I have Humming Room and There is No Dog waiting for me to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the emotions and reactions in The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things were very real, as you said. It's a good book and a worth Printz honor. Can't wait to start The Humming Room!

      Delete
  3. You seem to read like I do-all over the place with a little of this and a little of that. I loved Ruby Red and BZRK was so deliciously disturbing it had my skin crawling for days! I will have to look into Sacco and Vanzetti. I am always interested in a new graphic novel series (I like them better than stand alone graphic novels for some reason). Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, I do read all over the place. Ruby Red is so much fun. I'm looking forward to starting BZRK. I hope it doesn't give me nightmares! My favorite of Geary's graphic novel series is the one about Lizzie Borden. Macabre, but very interesting.

      Delete
  4. So glad you are getting to read Wonder. If I had enough money, every fifth grader at my school each year would get a copy of it!! I'm interested to see what you think about the The Humming Room.
    Happy Reading!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonder is so good! I've heard great things about The Humming Room.

      Delete
  5. I am so glad you finally got to finish Wonder...what an amazing book. We're working on getting the author to come to our school next Fall - fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so cool if Palacio could come to your school! My fingers are crossed for you too! It's a phenomenal book.

      Delete
  6. Hooray for Wonder!!!! Love it! I'm a Delirium fan, read the sequel, Pandemonium, not long ago. Loved that one, too. I have an ARC of Liar and Spy I am so excited to read. Glad you are back to joining in the meme. Lots of great books and reading going on!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love love love this meme and getting to see what everyone is reading! I will definitely read Pandemonium. I've heard it's got another killer ending. Liar and Spy is so great. I love Stead's writing.

      Delete
  7. Love Delirium. Is Pandemonium on the horizon? That's a great read as well!
    I read Hard Love for the #nerdprintz challenge. Are you participating in that, or just reading the book for fun?
    LOVE Wonder...about to start that with my 9 yo.
    I'm patiently waiting for one of my students to finish Boy21 so I can get it! Unfortunately, he isn't the fastest reader. I'll probably sneak it home this weekend :)

    fountainreflections.wordpress.com
    (My wordpress log-in isn't working, sorry!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely read Pandemonium! I really liked Delirium. I am participating in the #nerdprintz challenge. I've read 47 so far. I'm going to try to finish them all by the end of this year. Hope you enjoy Boy21 as much as I did! I just adore Matthew Quick's books.

      Delete
  8. Glad you're getting to start Wonder! Great recommendation--I'll have to check out Solace of the Road!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. please do check out Solace. I fear that book is vastly underread. I'm enjoying Wonder so much!

      Delete
  9. So glad I found your blog because you make me want to read all the books you mentioned! The only one I've read so far is Delirium - loved it. Now I've bookmarked Wonder, since it's "the" book of 2012 :-)

    Tanya
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!