Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Rosemary Wells Reading Marathon

In my effort to become more well-read in the picture book world, I've decided that this year I will do a series of reading "marathons" if you will.  I'm going to pick an author and read all of their work that I can possibly get my hands on.  My first choice was the remarkable Chris VanAllsburg (see here).  My second choice was Rosemary Wells.
I read 94 books by Rosemary Wells over the last month.  Phew!  Is she prolific or what?  I wasn't as crazy about her stories as I thought I would be, but I sure do love her illustrations, especially from the earlier books.  These earlier illustrations had a rougher quality to them that I really like as opposed to the more polished depiction of characters that you would find in her later books.  Max and Ruby are great characters and it's amazing how much personality she gives them in minimal words.  I also love the McDuff books, (which has a lot to do with the fact that I grew up with a Westie).  I enjoyed the Yoko books as well.  One problem I had throughout some of the books was the endings. They often seemed anticlimactic or just plain odd when compared to the rest of the story. Still, I would say Rosemary Wells is one of my favorite illustrators.  She does cute remarkably well.

My 3 favorite Rosemary Wells books are:

Noisy Nora
Noisy Nora

Hazel's Amazing Mother
Hazel's Amazing Mother

Shy Charles
Shy Charles


1 comment:

  1. This has nothing to do with this post, sorry! Thou Shalt Not Road Trip is by the author of Five Flavors of Dumb. I did not love, love, love it like Dumb, but it was very enjoyable road trip read. Great character development, good messages that aren't heavy handed, and quite a bit of humor. The guy who wrote Dumb is definitely present in Road Trip, it's just different. Also, I have seen him speak twice and he's awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!