Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Currently Reading 6/4/12


It's time for:
 
Hosted by Teach Mentor Texts and the adult version begun by Book Journey

Well, I had an odd reading week this past week.  I kept starting new books, but didn't finish hardly any of them!  So right now I am in the midst of:

The Fairy Ring: Or Elsie and Frances Fool the World
The Fairy Ring

Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life
Learned Optimism

The Door in the Wall
The Door in the Wall

BZRK
BZRK

Same Sun Here
Same Sun Here

Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)
Unspoken

The FitzOsbornes at War (The Montmaray Journals, #3)
The FitzOsbornes at War

The Miseducation of Cameron Post
The Miseducation of Cameron Post

and my reread of
Code Name Verity
Code Name Verity

In case you are keeping count, that is 9 books I am currently reading.  9!  That's a bit ridiculous even for me.  I am not going to start any more books this week, but instead focus on finishing the huge number of which I am currently in the midst.

I did manage to finish reading one book, and that was:
The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #1)
The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart which was a bit shallow, but lots of fun.  Ruby is such a fabulous protagonist.  Still can't hold a candle to that Lockhart masterpiece The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks though.



12 comments:

  1. I just got Unspoken, and I'm really interested in this Learned Optimism business. Think it'd be relevant for application in the classroom? I'm always in the middle of a bazillion books, it's good to see I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's definitely relevant. I've not finished the book yet, but his arguments make sense so far. Not sure I'd take them as far as he does, but I think having a positive outlook certainly does make one's life better. I'm glad to know there are others who are reading a bunch of books at the same time too!

      Delete
  2. I just started the final Ruby Oliver book. I agree that they are shallow and no where near as amazing as Frankie, but it's a fun, easy read. I believe you were looking for a report on I Hunt Killers? LOVE. It's creepy and there are some disturbing descriptions of murders, but Jazz is an awesome, introspective character. I hope things work out for him in the end. I'll find out tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really like the Ruby Oliver books and will definitely be reading the rest in the series and recommending them to teens. GREAT to hear about I Hunt Killers! I will definitely pick it up now. Thanks for the report :)

      Delete
    2. I had read The Boyfriend List a while ago and then never realized there were more books about Ruby Oliver! I've read a few now and I think I left off in a kind of happy place so I'm hesitant to read more. I like happy books and she deals with so much drama.

      I am definitely an optimist naturally but that book intrigues me. Last summer my husband's school read Mindset to discuss when they went back to school, I wonder how they would compare. AND I love Same Sun here! I love the cover artwork but the story of Meena and River inside is great, too!

      Delete
    3. The Boyfriend List is definitely full of drama, but I think it was fun too. There were times, though, that I felt definitely uncomfortable for Ruby.
      I am about 1/3 of the way through Learned Optimism now, and I'm really enjoying it. It's more about how to come out of depression than simply having an optimistic attitude.

      Delete
  3. Don't know the others, but Same Sun Here is well written a great read. I think it would be a good mentor text for letter writing in fiction. I'll look up the others & thanks for the list. I have 3 or 4 going at a time, but not 9. Hope it all works out (te he).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same Sun Here is wonderful! I especially liked that it mentioned Dollywood which is very close to where I live and a place I spent a lot of time as a kid!

      Delete
  4. I really loved Same Sun Here. I couldn't stop reading it. It's one of the first ARCs I ever read, so I will always remember it.
    Code Name Verity sounds intriguing, too. Everyone is talking about it on Twitter.
    And I read several books at once, too. Happy reading to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have company in the many books at the same time zone. Code Name Verity is sensational! Definitely pick it up!

      Delete
  5. I just requested both Code Name Verity and Same Sun Here on Saturday. I have heard so many people talking about both. Some of the others sound good too. I will have to put them on my ever growing list. So many books, so little time. Summer starts to look too short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about so many books, so little time! I have TONS of books I want to read! I will never ever get to all of them :/

      Delete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!