Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Currently Reading 7/23/12


Begun first by Sheila from Book Jorney and the kidlit version started by the ladies at Teach Mentor Texts.

Well, I finished 2 of my loose, baggy monsters last week.

Rot & Ruin (Benny Imura, #1)
Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry.  LOVED it.  It's about as perfect as at teen zombie novel can get.  Not sure I want to read the sequel, though, as I felt this ending was conpletely satisfying (plus I really don't want to experience the deaths of any of my favorite characters!)  This was my selection for the library's teen book club this week.  All the teens adored and and thought that Tom was the epitome of awesomeness.

Pandemonium (Delirium, #2)
Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver.  I really liked Delirium, but I thought Pandemonium was even better.  I couldn't wait find out what happened.  Can't wait til the final book in the trilogy comes out next March!  Also, these are fabulous audiobooks.  I love the narrator, she puts so much emotion in her voice which seems appropriate for these books.

Currently reading even more loose, baggy monsters (gee, I SO need to find me some short books)

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.  Reread.  I didn't care for it the first time, so I'm eager to see if it improves upon reread.  My selection for this week's teen book group.  On page 66.

Red Glove (Curse Workers #2)
Red Glove by Holly Black.  Audiobook.  Liked the first book in the trilogy quite a bit and have been waiting for ages for my library to get the audiobooks so I could see what all the fuss is about.  It is a very good audiobook so far.  On page 25.

The Book of Blood and Shadow
The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman.  This one is just barely interesting enough for  me not to put down.  I do want to know what happens, but I don't really want to put in all the work to get there.  On page 282.

The FitzOsbornes at War (The Montmaray Journals, #3)
The FitzOsbornes at War by Michelle Cooper.  I love the Montmaray books and this one is no exception.  Sophie's voice is just so strong.  On page 95.

The Miseducation of Cameron Post
The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth.  I like this one, and fully expect it to be named to the Morris list this year, but I simply cannot seem to find the time to finish it.  Going to try to do that this week.  On page 100.

Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)\
Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan.  This is my first encounter with Sarah Rees Brennan and I love her writing, especially her dialogue, but, unfortunately, this is the book I read for breaks at work and breaks at work have been hard to come by lately.  It's downloaded onto my computer, so I can't really take it home.  I am determined to finish it somehow, though! On page 220.

I *really* want to finish at least 3 of the books I'm currently reading this week before I start any others.  If I have time, I will try to begin

The White Darkness
The White Darkness by Gerladine McCaughrean.

What are you reading this week?  Check later for my #poemaday!

16 comments:

  1. Wow! So ambitious.

    I just put a hold on Rot & Ruin at my library, since hearing you tweet about it keeps bumping it up my list.

    I also love that you say "I do want to know what happens, but I don't really want to put in all the work to get there." - I've had books like that, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rot & Ruin will not disappoint! I am not even much of a zombie fan and I still loved it. Yes, about wanting to know what happens in a book but not wanting to put in effort! Sometimes I wish there were Cliffnotes for teen books, ha!

      Delete
  2. I haven't finished any books by Cassandra yet. I checked at the first book in TMI quite a while back. I started it and liked it, but I just wasn't in the mood to read that long of a book right then.

    http://booksandcollege.blogspot.com/2012/07/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-1.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the first book in her other series (the Clockwork one, can't remember the name off the top of my head) and I really liked that one. I'm hoping to like City of Bones more on this reread. When I first read it, I was on a slew of similar fantasy novels and I think I just went into supernatural creatures overdrive.

      Delete
  3. I agree that the Delirium audiobooks are awesome. Sarah Drew is an amazing narrator. She puts her heart and soul into the performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just great? Oliver's writing is so beautiful that her books deserve a stellar narrator, so I'm glad they chose Sarah Drew.

      Delete
  4. Okay, after reading your thoughts on Rot & Ruin I have to go get it. I hope I get to Unspoken this week - I need to return the ARC to a friend. And remember if a book isn't doing it for you...put it down and move on. You can always come back at a later point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love R&R as much as I did! Unspoken is good as well. I think I would have really loved it if I had read it all in one or two sittings.

      Delete
  5. Funny to read your R&R review. I happened to watch an older Glee episode last night where they did a Zombie mashup routine. The Montmary series sounds great--another big add to my TBR! :) I so admire your reading pace and ability to juggle multiple books at once! What an awesome resource you are to your patrons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet compliment :) Definitely seek at the Montmary series. So, so good.

      Delete
  6. Wow-you have a lot of books going on. Thanks for sharing all the great titles. I would usually not choose a zombie book, but this one sounds good. I can see why you are reading so many; they all sound good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This zombie book is more about relationships than zombies. Really not what I was expecting from a zombie book, which was a refreshing surprise.

      Delete
    2. YOU MUST KEEP READING THE SERIES. YOU MUST! Because you are spot on. It's such a human story. And I did not expect to love it so much, either.

      Delete
  7. I liked Pandemonium, too!!!! It's so messed up though. I feel bad for the characters, they just don't seem to be able to catch a break. Rot and Ruin looks interesitng, too! I haven't read many zombie books...but if it's the best of the best...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read The Miseducation of Cameron Post a few weeks ago. I mostly liked it, but it slowed down some and I had to push myself to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep hearing Pandemonium really leaves you desperate for the 3rd one- Tempted to hold off on it as I'm terrible at waiting!
    I love the sound of The Miseducation of Cameron Post- it keeps popping up everywhere!
    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!