Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

Currently Reading 7/30/12

It's time to talk about what we've been reading again!  This wonderful meme was first begun by Sheila at Book Journey and the Picture Books to YA version started by the ladies at Teach Mentor Texts.

So, if you remember, last week my goal was to finish 3 of the huge books I was reading.  Well, guess what?  I actually did it!  I finished:

The Book of Blood and Shadow
The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman.  Not a huge fan of this one.  The plot was simply too unbelievable and I didn't care for any of the characters.  It did keep me engaged enought that I wanted to find out what happened, though, so take that for what it's worth.

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.  I liked this one much better on reread.  Jace didn't seem as much of a jerk to me this time and the plot seemed less recycled.  Still not crazy about the series, though, and I'm not sure if I will ever read City of Ashes.

Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)
Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan.  Ok, this one I LOVED.  Boy, what an ending.  The characters are all fabulously vivid (especially the protagonist), the plot is mysterious in all the best ways, and I can't wait until the next book in the series comes out (which might be a while since this book isn't even published until September).  Highly recommended, although it took me something like 5 months to actually finish the book.  Shame on me!


I am currently reading:
The White Darkness The Miseducation of Cameron Post Red Glove (Curse Workers #2) The FitzOsbornes at War (The Montmaray Journals, #3)
The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean
The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth
Red Glove by Holly Black
The FitzOsbornes at War by Michelle Cooper

LOVE The White Darkness.
I think I will be reading The Miseducation of Cameron Post until I die.

I hope to finish at least two of those books and start on:
Keeping the Castle Postcards from No Man's Land Starters (Starters and Enders, #1)
Keeping the Castle by Patrice Kindle
Postcards from No Man's Land by Aidan Chambers
Starters by Lissa Price

17 comments:

  1. Unspoken sounds really good. I might have to add it to my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, definitely read it! I must warn you about that ending though. It will make you want to throw the book across the room!

      Delete
  2. Great list of books. And I actually liked City of Glass best in the series but you have to read City of Ashes before moving to the 3rd book. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm...I *think* I will read the rest of the series. We carry the audiobooks at my library so it would be fairly simple to just pop the CDs in my car. I am intrigued by the world Clare creates and my teens do love them.

      Delete
  3. Unspoken sounds like my kind of book. I am adding it to the virtual pile!

    You asked about The Year of the Beast. Here is my review: The Year of the Beast at Headfullofbooks I did enjoy it more than I thought I would and I thought the half graphic/half regular novel worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the link to your review! It sounds like a book I will want to check out.

      Delete
  4. I was so cheering for you watching your status updates on Goodreads for The Book of Blood and Shadow. Glad you made it! :) I'm glad to hear that you liked Unspoken . . . it's in the TBR! Have a great week!

    --Lorna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for cheering me on, Lorna! I am so proud of myself that I finished it, haha! Hope you like Unspoken as much as I did :)

      Delete
  5. I read through City of Glass (book 3) of The Mortal Instruments series, and I'm pausing there. Everything is pretty much wrapped up at a good stopping point. Maybe I'll read the rest of the series at some point, but there are other (more unique?) books I want to read for now!
    I'm glad Unspoken was good. I added that one to my TBR this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should write about more unique books, that's my #1 complaint about City of Bones. It just didn't feel unique or original, although it is a fun read.

      Delete
  6. You have sold me on Unspoken! Now I really want to read it...I guess I'll have to wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would send it to you, but I read it on Netgalley. Maybe it's still on there?

      Delete
  7. I think Starters will be huge for us this year. I missed it when it came out then read it later in school year. Will be a kickoff booktalk for me! I'm moving Unspoken up on my mental TBR as I loved Demon's Lexicon and really liked Demon's Covenant though I never finished the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to read Sarah Rees Brennan's other series now! Can't wait to read Starters. It is NEVER on the shelf at my library.

      Delete
  8. I think Unspoken is on my to-read list, I just haven't gotten around to reading it yet. But that's what happens when you have over 1,000 books on your to-read list, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my gosh, over 1,000 books! I only have 500 something!

      Delete
  9. So many, many books to read, & guess we should feel lucky, right? Unspoken looks good! Thank you for telling about those you read.

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!