Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

Currently Reading 7/9/12

I am back!  I've taken a brief hiatus from blogging due to that killer of all time, BUYING A HOUSE (which not only has taken up much of my free time the past few weeks, but has also been consuming most of my waking thoughts).  ANYWAY, I still have to close on the house, but I think I have enough time to churn out a real quick post for:
Hosted by the lovely ladies at Teach Mentor Texts and begun by Book Journeys

I haven't posted in, oh, ages, and I haven't been reading a terrible lot since then either, but here are a select few of the books I have read since my last post:

*The Graveyard Book, Shiver, and White Cat were rereads for me*

The Fairy Ring: Or Elsie and Frances Fool the World
The Fairy Ring or Elise and Frances Fool the World by Mary Losure: Well done non-fiction. Losure portrays the two protagonists with sympathy and depth. A fascinating true story.

Sadie and Ratz
Sadie and Ratz by Sonya Hartnett: a quick and easy read, realistic emotions, but slightly disconcerting.

The Door in the Wall
The Door in the Wall by Marguerite De Angeli: Entertaining historical fiction. Rousing in places and (best of all) brief.

The Graveyard Book
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman: REREAD. This book was so much sweeter and more good-natured than I expected it to be, given the dark setting. Although there certainly were some frightening parts, I probably would have enjoyed the story more had it been more sinister. Still, the whole idea of the book, a sort of morbid Jungle Book of a boy growing up in a graveyard and raised by ghosts, is fantastically imaginative. The episodic style works quite well, and, while the plot drags in places and has a few holes, Gaiman is still a master storyteller and crafts an enjoyable novel.

Dying to Know You
Dying to Know You by Aidan Chambers: Adored the first 100 pages and wish the plot continued on the same vein. The characters are well-done and the narrative voice superb.

BZRK
BZRK by Michael Grant: too much science fiction mumbo jumbo and not enough character development for my liking.  It is suitably creepy though.

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)
Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater: REREAD. Romance is not my genre of choice, but this is a good one. Stiefvater's descriptions are vivid and breathtaking and her characterization so real.  Enjoyed this much more than the first time I read it.

White Cat (Curse Workers, #1)
White Cat by Holly Black: REREAD. Excellent crime story.  I'm not sure the plot quite makes perfect since, but this is one where you just forget about reading too much into it, and simply go along for the (entertaining) ride.

Surrender
Surrender by Sonya Hartnett: So well-written.  I found myself rereading multiple sentences just because of the way they were so beautifully worded.  Vastly disturbing with a killer of an ambiguous ending.  Still not sure exactly what happened, and that's the way it should be with a book like this.

My Heartbeat
My Heartbeat by Garret Freymann-Weyr: Lots to unpack here.  The characters may speak with a bit more maturity than is likely, but there is so much truth in the narrative.  Strongest when focused on relationships and weakest when trying to prove its issues.

Currently Reading:
Many StonesThe Miseducation of Cameron PostPandemonium (Delirium, #2)
Many Stones by Carolyn Coman
The Bookf of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman
The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth
Pademonium by Lauren Oliver

I hope to finish the books I'm reading now and start on:
Repossessed and Your Own, Sylvia: A Verse Portrait of Sylvia Plath
Repossed by A.M. Jenkins
Your Own, Sylvia: A Verse Portrait of Sylvia Plath by Stephanie Hemphill

15 comments:

  1. Wow-lots of books for me to take note of. I loved The Graveyard Book. You are right, Gaiman is just terrific. I will check out Surrender and My Heartbeat as well as the crime book. You've made them all sound good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all good! I am reading through the Printz winners and honors, and have found some real gems, including Surrender and My Heartbeat.

      Delete
  2. Loved Pandemonium almost better than Delirium. For me, it was a sequel that wasn't a disappointment even a little. Will look forward to hearing what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I think I might be loving it more than Delirium too! Lauren Oliver is such an amazing writer.

      Delete
  3. I have only read The Graveyard Book, one of my students enticed me into reading it and I enjoyed it even though didn't think I would. Would like to try the Pandemonium series at some time too.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving Pandemonium. Isn't The Graveyard book grand? Gaiman is such a talent.

      Delete
  4. So many interesting titles here! I haven't read Shiver but I've had it for a while. I also have been wanting to read Pandemonium for a long time, too. I just keep getting distracted by new books. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shiver and Pandemonium are both definitely worth the read! I think I like Pandemonium even better than Delirium.

      Delete
  5. So why was Sadie and Ratz disconcerting? Just curious. Great list of reads and re-reads. I love the Curse Worker Series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just thought Baby Boy seemed so devious and malicious! Plus all those shadows in the illustrations didn't help matters. I loved the book, just thought it left me ever-so-slightly uncomfortable.

      Delete
    2. and that's always the case with me and Sonya Hartnett's writing! She does disturbing better than anybody.

      Delete
  6. Welcome back!
    Such agreat range of books! quite a few are on my tbr list- neil.gaiman, shiver and lauren oliver.
    looking forward to.your thoughts on Cameron Post- seen.it around alot recently :)
    have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so much about Cameron Post too! The writing is lovely, but it is SO LONG! I hope I can get through the whole thing.

      Delete
  7. Yay for Pandemonium! I love the series. Craziness but still loved it. I really liked The Graveyard Book, too! I think I listened to the audio and it's read by Neil Gaiman himself which made it superb. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to the audiobook of The Graveyard Book when it first came out too! Such a great one. I recommend it to people all the time.

      Delete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!