Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Currently Reading 8/12/12

I skipped:
last week due to a family emergency, but all is well now so I am back to share what I've been reading!

(thanks to Book Journey and Teach Mentor Texts for starting #IMWAYR)

I finished:

Red Glove (Curse Workers #2) Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1: Gifted Bink and Gollie, Two for One

Red Glove by Holly Black
The Astonishing X-Men Vol. 1: Gifted by Joss Whedon
Bink & Gollie: Two for One by Kate DiCamillo and Alison McGhee

Preludes and Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1) Batgirl, Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection Batman: Year One
The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes & Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman
Batgirl Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection by Gail Simone
Batman: Year One by Frank Miller

The White Darkness
The White Darkness by Gerladine McCaughrean

I was lucky this week, I adored every last book I read.  Lots of five star books in this group!  You may have noticed that a large portion of my reading material was graphic novels.  I am now in charge or ordering GNs for the Juvenile and Teen sections at my library.  I am trying to becoming more well-read so that I have some idea of what I am doing while ordering!  I am *really* enjoying reading them. 

Also, The White Darkness easily falls into my list of Top Ten Printz books.  So, so good and very unique.  The heroine reminded me a lot of what I was like as a teenager (except for the whole trip to Antarctica.  Never got around to doing that).  She's so flawed, but I still rooted for her to survive.  McCaughrean's writing is oh-so-beautiful and the book made me feel so COLD.  Such a vivid setting.  I think dear Uncle Victor would also make it onto my list of top 3 YA novel villains (along with Leck from Graceling and that dude from the first Monstrumologist book).

Anyway, here's what I am currently reading (and rereading):

Superman: Red Son Birds of Prey, Vol. 1: Trouble in Mind The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2)

Superman: Red Son by Mark Millar
Birds of Prey Vol. 1: Trouble in Mind by Duane Swierczynski
REREAD The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

Also plugging away on volumes 7-12 of the new 52 Batgirl comics by Gail Simone.

I hope to read this week:

Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile Batman: The Killing Joke The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Dynamite Entertainment Sherlock Holmes, #1)

Fables Vol 1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham
Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore
Sherlock Holmes Vol. 1: The Trial of Sherlock Holmes by Leah MOore and John Reppion

The Body of Christopher Creed Postcards from No Man's Land

The Body of Christopher Creed by Carol Plum-Ucci
Postcards from No Man's Land by Aidan Chambers

What are YOU reading, hmmmm?

20 comments:

  1. There are so many fun graphic novels out there. Happy reading. And hope you enjoyed White Cat. I just finished Black Heart. Such a good series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read (umm, listen to) Black Heart! Such a good series!

      Delete
  2. If you are reading through graphic novels, allow me to make a few suggestions. The Death of Superman is a MUST read. I also have been buying up New 52 titles, but avoiding Batman because I can't afford to get into everything. From what I have read, and the reviews I have read, I would recommend Wonder Woman: Blood, Justice League: Origin, and Swamp Thing: Raise Them Bones

    I have read 4 books this week, including Legend, which I think may be my favorite book I have read this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo, thanks so much Matt! I LOVE GN suggestions! I just ordered the new hardcover compilation of the new 52 Batman. I want to read it, have heard it's good! I will definitely put a hold on The Death of Superman! I have a hold on Wonder Woman: Blood, and will put a hold on Justice League: Origin. Let me know if you think of any others I should read!

      Delete
    2. Swamp thing is published later this month. Will possibly order for the library. Also, isn't Legend just great? Really popular with the teens at the library.

      Delete
    3. Legend was wonderful! It carefully balanced elements of romance, suspense, mystery and action into a book that was intense and exciting!

      Delete
  3. The Sandman graphic novels are absolutely amazing. I re-read them every few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really loved the first volume and have heard they just keep getting better! Can't wait to continue in the series!

      Delete
  4. Okay, clearly I need to get on the Holly Black train. She's everywhere this week for blogger and Twitter folks. Sometime you'll have to reveal you top 10 YA list . . . I'm trying to read more YA. I loved the Bink & Gollie books. Kind of like sassier Frog and Toad books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your description of Bink & Gollie! It's so accurate :-)
      I did notice that a lot of people were posting about Holly Black recently. It's odd because the last book in the Curse Workers trilogy came out some time ago...

      Delete
  5. Okay, just had to jump in here. I adore Simone. She does a great job with dialogue, and she really tries to build diversity into her comics. The artist on Batgirl is amazing, too.

    If you are okay with older comics, also give Secret Six a try (I just started these this week).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying Simone's writing! and I love the Batgirl artist. Wanted to read the new 52 Catwoman as well, but I just couldn't stand that artwork. Not my style, I guess. I will try to find Secret Six!

      Delete
  6. Somehow the next Bink and Gollie escaped my notice. Must add that. And ooooooh. That Sherlock Holmes GN. I'm curious. Never been one for graphics but I started to come round a bit this summer, reading all of the Lunch Lady and Babymouse. And the City of Ember GN. I need to go check if I have that White Darkness on my TBR list.
    I had an ARC of Red Glove for ... over a year, I think, before I ever got around to it. And then I was hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore Lunch Lady and Babymouse. Babymouse is still my favorite GN character! The Sherlock Holmes GN is the one that nobody recommended to me, I just picked it up because it looked really good. I love Holmes!

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness- I hope you love the Fables series. They are my favorite adult graphic novels series (though Sandman is right behind).

    And thank you for sharing some new GNs and comics I didn't know and for sharing White Darkness that I haven't heard of.

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited to read Fables! Definitely try to find The White Darkness. I think it was quite deserving of its Printz award, although it certainly is a love it or hate it kind of book.

      Delete
  8. And I am so happy to hear that everyone is okay and glad you are back :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, such great titles here. I'm sad to hear about the family emergency but glad to see that things seem to be alright now. Hope things are well.

    I have Neil Gaiman's Preludes and Nocturnes but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I have this illusion that I would have the complete set of the Sandman chronicles in my lifetime and once I have all the copies in my hands, that's when I'd dive in. Haha. I'm also happy to see quite a number of graphic novels here, they deserve much love too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree about Graphic Novels deserving some love! They get such a bad rap. Hope you enjoy Preludes and Nocturnes as much as I did. I can't wait to start on the second volume of Sandman!

      Delete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!