Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Currently Reading 8/27/12

from Teach Mentor Texts and Book Journey,

This week I finished:

Black Butler, Vol. 1 Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit (Lunch Lady, #5) Lunch Lady and the Summer Camp Shakedown (Lunch Lady, #4)

Black Butler vol. 1 by Yana Toboso
Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit by Jarrett J. Krosoczka

Amulet, Vol. 1: The Stonekeeper The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Dynamite Entertainment Sherlock Holmes, #1) The Body of Christopher Creed

The Body of Christopher Creed by Carol Plum-Ucci

Owly, Vol. 1:  The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile Giants Beware!

Fables vol 1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham and Lan Medina
Giants Beware by Jorge Aguirre and Rafael Rosado

Most of them were good, although I have discovered that I don't think I am a fan of manga. Black Butler was ok, but I wasn't a fan of the style and it confused me utterly. 
The Sherlock Holmes book was a big disappointment.  It seemed unnecessarily wordy and I really didn't like the artwork.  Several of the characters looked identical. 
Loved the rest of the books though.

I also read some fabulous picture books, my favorite were:
I Like Old Clothes Squid and Octopus Friends for Always Minette's Feast: The Delicious Story of Julia Child and Her Cat

I Like Old Clothes by Mary Ann Hoberman and Patrice Barton
Minette's Feast by Susanna Reich and Amy Bates

I am currently reading:

Bone, Vol. 1: Out from Boneville Postcards from No Man's Land Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3)

Postcards from No Man's Land by AIdan Chambers
Black Heart by Holly Black

This week I plan to start:

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) Beatrix Potter: A Life in Nature Justice League, Vol. 1: Origin Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Soulless by Gail Carriger
Beatrix Potter: A Life in Nature by Linda Lear
Justice League Vol. 1 Origin by Geoff Johns
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller

What are *YOU* reading?

22 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the Bone series even though I;m not a big fan of graphic novels. I tried reading Vol 5 of Amulet (it was sent for review) and had absolutely NO IDEA what was going on! lol Guess I need to start back at Vol. 1, huh?

    Enjoy your books this week -

    Sue

    Great Books for Kids and Teens


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not very far into Bone yet, but it does seem enjoyable. I can definitely see how Amulet could be confusing if you didn't start at the beginning. It seems as if all the volumes form one cohesive plot.

      Delete
  2. What a great list of books read and to be read!
    Thanks so much for the recommendatin. I wuill definitely check it out. The Book Thief was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you enjoy I Am the Messenger as much as I did!

      Delete
  3. Owly looks so cute. I'll be sure to look it up. I have Postcards on my list, maybe from you! And also I Like Old Clothes-sounds good. Thanks for the heads up about them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to see the bio of Beatrix Potter...my kids would love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to start it! I've wanted to read it for years!

      Delete
  5. I love some graphic novels, but fear I'm with you on the manga-style GNs. I've heard great things about the Amulet series and have yet to get to it. I too adored Squid and Octopus and Minette. The cover art for I Like Old Clothes looks super cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Like Old Clothes, is super cute! I was utterly charmed by it. I wish I liked Manga, and I will give it a few more chances, but I fear it is not for me.

      Delete
  6. I had trouble with Owly. I really struggled with the total lack of words, and it took me a while to get the hang of the symbols in that one. I adore Bone.

    I know what you mean about graphic novel versions of books. They are pretty hit or miss. One I loved was the Marvel Wizard of Oz adaptation. Beautiful and actually made me want to go read the book! (which I then did).

    I've read and enjoyed some of the Fables, but haven't gotten through them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohmygosh, I LOVE the Marvel Wizard of Oz adaptation. One of my favorite graphic novels of all time! Owly can be a little confusing, I think. I took me a bit to get the hang of reading it too.

      Delete
  7. It's fantastic that you keep up with so much of the graphic selections that are so popular. I try - I've read the first three Amulet, Owly, Fangbone, etc but not all are favourites for me. However, I like to stay in the loop to be able to recommend for my students. Feeling like I need to tackle Bone next and see . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bone is pretty fun. I'm enjoying it, but I don't think I'd call it one of my favorites. I haven't tackled Fangbone yet! I know what you mean about staying in the loop. I feel so much more able to talk to the kids and teens at my library now that I've read the graphic novels that they love so much!

      Delete
  8. What a great list!!! I love so many books listed- Lunch Lady, Fables, Giants Beware, Amulet and Black Heart. Your list is just amazing!

    Happy reading (and listening) this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a super good reading week! I read so many fabulous books!

      Delete
  9. I try so hard to like graphic novels, but I just don't. My kids love them though, so I push through so I can help them make good choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are certainly not for every reader! That's admirable that you still try to read them, though, so you can recommend them to the kids!

      Delete
  10. The Beatrix Potter book is on my reading list, but I'm not sure if I'll read it or not. I'd love to hear what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get started on it! I just adore her.

      Delete
  11. I went so far as to buy the first book in the Curse Workers series, but I haven't started it yet. Story of my bookish life.

    The Parasol Protectorate series is supposed to be great, too, and I know the author has a YA series coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo, I didn't know that the author of The Parasol Protectorate series had a YA series coming out! I must look into that! Definitely try Curse Workers if you get a chance. It's a fun trilogy.

      Delete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!