Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Currently Reading 9/17/12


Not much if you're me!  I feel like I've read and read and read this week, but I'm reading such long books (long for me anyway) that I just was not able to finish hardly any of them!  So, this will look very much like a repeat from last week.

Check out Teach Mentor Texts and Book Journey for more IMWAYR posts!

I did finish one book this week:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

I very much liked this book.  I thought it was well-written and interesting (if a bit angsty for my taste).  I see why it's such a classic.

I am STILL reading:
Postcards from No Man's Land Gone Girl The Night Circus
Postcards from No Man's Land by Aidan Chambers
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Postcards is interesting, but just a bit wordy.  Gone Girl is fascinationg but the characters are all deeply unlikable.  The Night Circus is lovely but doesn't have much of a plot.

I am in the midst of the following books but didn't actually read anything out of them this week:
Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy The FitzOsbornes at War (The Montmaray Journals, #3)
Soulless by Gail Carriger
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John Le Carre
The FitzOsbornes at War by Michelle Cooper

Still want to start on:
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Blood Amulet, Vol. 4: The Last Council
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
Wonder Woman Volume 1: Blood by Brian Azzarello
Amulet vol 4: The Last Council by Kazu Kibuishi

and perhaps
Cloud Atlas
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell as it has holds on it and it is due soon.

Them there's a whole lot of pages, friends!  Not sure I will be able to finish them all (or any of them, really) but I sure will give it the old school try!

Happy Reading This Week!

23 comments:

  1. Lots of fabulous titles here. One of the GatheringBooks ladies, Iphigene, told me that she's read the perks of being a wallflower over the weekend as well. My own ten year old wanted to borrow it from the library (she knows about the film), but several friends have told me that it's not suitable yet for her age group. I have a copy of The Night Circus and Postcards from No Man's Land as well, but haven't read them yet. Cloud Atlas looks lovely! Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely agree with your friends, 10 seems a bit young to read Perks. It deals with some VERY mature subjects. I hope you get to read The Night Circus and Postcards. They are certainly worth reading, very well-written books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My reading is all over the place right now with little getting finished! I listened to The Night Circus and the only reason I stuck it out was because of Jim Dale. The book is lovely and weird, but it sure doesn't move fast! The book that is getting the silent treatment from me right now is The Wilder Life-it's fun and campy, but it didn't see any action from me this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree about The Night Circus. It is a slow-moving book, but the writing is lovely and that's why I'm sticking with it! I hope the plot picks up a bit though!

      Delete
    2. I think the last 1/3 is the most powerful part of the Night Circus. Stick with it.

      Delete
    3. good to know! I am enjoying it a lot. I'm not really a plot-driven reader so I'm fine to go along with the ride :-)

      Delete
  4. I have been wanting to read The Perks of Being a Wallflower for a while now. I can't wait to read The Fitzobsornes at War since I loved the first two books so much. Postcards is on my shelf as is Night Circus. The others look interesting too. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read some of the books you have here, like the Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Fitzosbornes at War, NIght Circus and Postcards from No Man's Land. The other books all look interesting, too. Looks like you have a busy reading week ahead. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying all the books you named! They are each so well-written! The FitOsbornes one is probably my favorite though. I just love Michelle Cooper's books!

      Delete
  6. I've been hearing great things about The Perks of Being a Wallflower--glad to hear you confirm it. I too found Night Circus's plot really slow to ramp up. For the first 1/3, I kept asking myself, "Where the heck is this thing going?" Glad you picked up the Tana French--hope you enjoy it whenever it finally surfaces in your reading stack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, it may be next year before I get to Tana French but I REALLY want to read her novel!

      Delete
  7. So, you've given me more titles to add to my list - especially Wallflower which sounds especailly intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wallflower is definitely good - though it has some pretty mature content, so be aware of that! Definitely an important YA novel!

      Delete
  8. Wallflower doesn't sound like my usual choice, but I keep hearing good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's well worth reading, and a quick read too!

      Delete
  9. Oh my, I forget every week that you have so many books going. I thought I was bad to have 3 or 4, plus picture books. I am interested in Wallflower & keep looking longingly at The Night Circus, but... I just started Gone Girl-um-m-it's interesting. Sorry to hear that the characters are not so likable. But thanks for saying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am about 150 page into Gone Girl and I will defintely finish it. I think the characters are purposefully unlikable...I think...

      Delete
  10. You do have a lot of books going. Isn't it funny how we get so many started. I was always a one book at a time kind of person, but lately it feels like I am juggling them.

    I am going to have to find Wonder Woman. It looks fun. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wonder Woman is odd but very good, I think. I have just always been a read a bunch of books at a time type person. I get easily bored, haha!

      Delete
  11. I have been having a two week period like you. So many books started and not as many finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It starts to get frustration after a while, though. I'm so used to racing through books because I usually read short kid's books. Adult books are HARD and LONG haha!

      Delete
  12. I just made a shelftalker for The Night Circus. It does have beautiful writing. Perks and Cloud Atlas have definitely been bestsellers where I work with the movies coming out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just added two more copies of Perks to our library's collection. Should probably add a Cloud Atlas too as it has many holds on it!

      Delete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!