Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Currently Reading 10/1/12

Guys, I am neglecting my blog UTTERLY, and I feel really badly about it.  I promise, this week I will post more than simply my:


(Check out Teach Mentor Texts and Book Journey for more great IMWAYR posts!)

Anyway, I've been neglecting my reading utterly as well (in favor of unimportant stuff like sleeping)!  I've only finished reading these books last week:

Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: BloodBatwoman, Vol. 1: Hydrology


Wonder Woman Vol. 1: Blood by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang and Tony Akins
Batwoman Vol. 1: Hydrology by J.H. Williams III, W. Haden Blackman, and Amy Reeder

I also reread

Smile

Smile by Raina Telgemeier, which still remains one of the best graphic novels I have ever read.  I led a book discussion group on it last week, and I had the largest attendance I have every had for a book discussion group, all of the kids had read the entire book, and all of them LOVED it.  Boys and girls could relate to this story: the dental drama, trying to fit in, bullying, SMILE has so much to say to so many kids. 

I am currently reading (the same books I have been reading for a month):

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns The Night Circus Gone Girl
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Postcards from No Man's Land The FitzOsbornes at War (The Montmaray Journals, #3) Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1)
Postcards from No Man's Land by Aidan Chambers
The FitzOsbornes at War by Michelle Cooper
Soulless by Gail Carriger

Not much to add to what I have written in the past.  Gone Girl is getting really good.  I love living in the world of The Night Circus.  The story of The Dark Knight Returns is good, but I'm not a fan of the artwork.  Postcards is well written, but I am just not into it.  I am over half way done with all of these, so I hope to finish many this week!

18 comments:

  1. I have got to read Smile. My daughter and I were talking about "social issues" in her class and she referred to what the character in this book had done. She has it on her nightstand and has read it countless times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a GOOD book and it seems to be especially powerful to middle graders.

      Delete
  2. Yes I loved Smile too, it has been a quiet success in my classroom but not a big success. I am looking forward to reading Drama at some point too.
    What a lot of books on the go at once. I admire your ability to remember them all and keep up with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I'm not so sure I remember them all well! I just get too bored reading one book at a time. Got to switch it up a bit!

      Delete
  3. My reading has totally slowed down too. I'm happy if I finish a book a week!! Totally loved Smile too and am happy to know boys like it! Will put it on 6th grade book club list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys loved it just as much as the girls! I think the graphic format really helps out. I don't think an average boy would touch that story with a ten foot pole if it were regular text (which is a shame, but true, I believe).

      Delete
  4. I'm hoping Drama is as good as Smile. I agree with you that it's absolutely terrific. I am behind in my books, too, but now starting The Raven Boys so that will push me faster. I do think the Postcards looks good, but you're right; there's so little time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Drama is good as well! I bought it last week but haven't had the chance to read it yet. I really want to read Raven Boys. I bought that one too!

      Delete
  5. You can't go wrong with rereading Smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love Smile! I couldn't believe it took me so long to read it! Once I did, I understood why it was never on my shelf! I'm also have a hard time right now keeping up with reading. There is just not enough hours in the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smile is so good! Amen about there not being enough hours in the day. Where does the time go to??!!

      Delete
  7. Smile is awesome. Have you or your readers read Drama yet??? Love it. I also loved Night Circus. Thought it was magnificent writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't gotten Drama in at my library yet! I bought it last week but I haven't gotten to read it yet either. Loving The Night Circus. You're right, the writing *is* magnificent.

      Delete
  8. Smile! Honestly every time I've recommended the book, people have ended up loving it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I don't know one person who has read it and not loved it.

      Delete
  9. Hi there Hannah, I have most of your titles here waiting to be read in my shelves: The Night Circus and Postcards from No Man's Land to name a few. I would definitely look for SMILE as I think it's something that my own ten year old daughter would enjoy - she LOVES graphic novels - and is a huge fan of Gene Luen Yang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your daughter would LOVE Smile! She's just the right age.

      Delete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!