Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Currently Reading 10/22/12



So, I was on VACATION last week.  You would think I would have gotten tons and tons of reading done, but nope.  I worked on my new house.  Worked and worked.  Mr. N. and I also adopted a Great Dane (who is hugemongeous) but that is a story for another blog post.  Because today it's Monday and here's what I'm reading!
As always, go to Teach Mentor Texts and Book Journey for more fabulous IMWAYR posts!


Well, the only things I read this week are picture books and comic books.  Not any particularly earth-shattering picture books, but some really fine comic books. I am all caught up on the DC New 52 Wonder Woman and Batwoman which are both very interesting and I will definitely keep reading.  It intrigues me how different these two series are from each other.  I guess I thought all superhero comic books were the same, just with different characters, but that's not the case at all!  Wonder Woman and Batwoman are both strong female heroes, but that's their only similarity.  Their stories and styles are so completely unique.  Also started reading the new Captain Marvel comic books which I LOVE.  I just can't seem to get enough of those women pilots (see: my fanatical devotion to Code Name Verity).



I am currently reading:

 Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (George Smiley, #5) Batman: The Long Halloween 
Soulless by Gail Carriger (I'm almost done!)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John Le Carre.  (The writing is fabulous but it's so confusing - even though I've seen both movie versions!)
Batman: The Long Halloween by Jim Loeb and  Tim Sale (really good.  It's an old-fashioned mystery which is my favorite kind of story!)

Hellblazer, Vol. 1: Original Sins (New Edition) The FitzOsbornes at War (The Montmaray Journals, #3) Code Name Verity
Hellblazer vol. 1: Original Sins by Jamie Delano, John Ridgway, and Alfred Alcala (not a fan of the artwork but I love the story.  It's terribly creepy.)
The FitzOsbornes at War by Michelle Cooper (LOVE this series.  I even went out and bought this book since my Netgalley loan expired before I finished reading it.  I couldn't wait til the library copy came in!  It will be easier to finish now that I have a hard copy)
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (yes, I'm reading it again.  This is my 3rd time if you're keeping count.  I just love it more Every Single Time I read it.)

This week, I'm going to start:

The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child The Brides of Rollrock Island
The Diviners by Libba Bray (on audiobook)
Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child by Bob Spitz (on audiobook)
The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan (not on audiobook)

I know I said I was going to read Seraphina, but I've heard that it is a sensational audiobook, which I just ordered it for my library, so I think I will wait and listen to it instead of reading the hard copy.

Well, well, well.  That's it for me!  What are *you* reading this week?

5 comments:

  1. My husband and I started watching Tinker Tailor Spy and he got hopelessly bored after 15/20 minutes, I think we're too accustomed to TV series (e.g. Criminal Minds, Falling Skies, The River) where everything is fast-paced that we find it a tad difficult to adjust when we get to full-length films. I wonder how the book is like for you? I've been meaning to get my hands on Diviners and Dearie as well. The graphic novels look great, very oldschool yet with a modern vibe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So many great titles. I am envious of your third read for Code Named Verity. I had it out from the library and didn't get to it in the time (too many requests came in at once) so I have returned it and put myself back on the request list. Crazy. I really want to read it. Especially when I hear you are on read number 3!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're enjoying the comics! I've been good about keeping up with Batgirl, but I've fallen behind on the others. I did hear that Captain Marvel is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Julia Child bio looks interesting, as does the cover for Soulless. Code Name Verity was just put on my request list at the library thanks to you! Hope it pulls me in the way is has for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wish I could afford to follow individual issues of comics, but I have to be satisfied with the trade paperbacks. Also, my library has the worst comics section I have seen. Wonder Woman is truly one of my favorite titles though, but I have never even been interested in picking up Batwoman. Have you tried out the Marvel Zombies series?

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!