Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Currently Reading 10/8/12

It's Monday!  You know what that means, right?  It's time for:

 
Check out the blogs Book Journey and Teach Mentor Texts for more great IMWAYR posts!
 
 
This week I actually finished a good number of fairly lengthy books!  Yay!
 
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, Klaus Johnson, and Lynn Varley
 
The writing is exceptional, but I didn't care for the artwork.  A powerful story though a bit confusing.  Not one of my favorite GNs, but I see why it is so well-respected.
 
Postcards from No Man's Land
Postcards from No Man's Land by Aidan Chambers
 
Probably my least favorite Printz book.  I  found it boring, the characters either uninteresting or downright unlikable, the themes confused and muddied.  The setting was wonderfully drawn, but, not being a particular fan of Amsterdam, the loving discriptions left me cold.
 
Gone Girl
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
 
Ok, guys, I pretty much loved this book.  The characters were beyond despicable and it's probably longer than it needs to be, but I'm a sucker for a complicated, twisty plot and, boy, does this deliver!
 
The Night Circus
The night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
 
The plot (what there is of it) doesn't really make complete sense, but the writing and setting are oh-so-beautiful that I didn't really care.  Loved most of the characters (except Marco - he seemed sort of swarmy to me).  So deeply imaginative.
 
I am currently reading:
 
Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (George Smiley, #5) The FitzOsbornes at War (The Montmaray Journals, #3)
Soulless by Gail Carriger
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John Le Carre
The FitzOsbornes at War by Michelle Cooper
 
I hope to start:
 
Seraphina (Seraphina, #1) Batman: The Long Halloween The League of Delphi 
Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale
The League of Delphi by Chris Everheart
 
 
 


9 comments:

  1. You are such a huge reader! I imagine you reading through the nights devouring all of these titles! I am intrigued by the cover of Gone Girl. I have seen positive and negative reviews but think I am going to go ahead and read it anyway. I do love twisty plots! Thanks for the push! Just requesting from library now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just placed a hold on Gone Girl I am number 425 on 70 copies! Huh? Hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started out at 2000-something, I'm now down to something in the 1500 range on my hold. Will it be worth the wait!!!

      Delete
  3. Glad you liked The Night Circus and totally agree with your summary of flat plot but beautiful writing. Sounds like I should clear the deck when Gone Girl finally comes in at the library.

    --Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same way about The Night Circus. Jim Dale made the audio amazing, but I am not sure would have stuck with reading it on my own. I have my eye on Seraphina, I have heard good things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Night Circus, Soulless, and Seraphina are all high on my TBR piles.
    I love beautiful writing so Night Circus might have to climb a little higher up that list thanks to your recommendation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seraphina!! I'm so glad you are going to read this one. I do have my eye on Night Circus too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gone Girl really made me think. I could not believe what happened, because I could not even fathom people like that. The ending left me fuming and wondering what could have been to come. Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started Gone Girl, but stopped so I could read another first. It started fine, but really can't tell so far. Glad to hear a good rec from you. Hope you like the Le Carre-I've read most of them & love the intricacies.

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!