Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

Currently Reading 12/10/12

SO, I have had SUCH a difficult time reading lately, and I don't even know why!  There are so many books I long to read, but I just can't make myself read!  Do you have any pointers when you're in a reading rut?

Anyway, here are the books I finished this week:

Let it Snow: Three Holiday Romances

Let It Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle

Read this one  because I thought it would be a perfect review for my December Teen Newsletter (at my library).  Here's what I wrote: 14 stranded cheerleaders, a twister sled, pink hair, a riot, and, oh yeah, LOTS of  Christmas cheer, these aren’t your ordinary love stories. 3 of YA’s most talented authors present interconnected tales of holiday romance.  Maureen Johnson tells of  Jubilee, a teen on her way to her grandparents for Christmas (because her parents have been arrested for *the* most ridiculous thing!).  After Jubilee’s train is stopped by the snow she gets more than she bargained for when she spends the night with a local, seemingly normal family.  John Green relates the epic journey of 3 teens as they suffer through the snow to get to the local Waffle house in order to deliver Twister to 14 stranded cheerleaders.  Lauren Myracle’s story involves Addie, a teen who is trying desperately to win back her boyfriend after she “accidentally” cheated on him.  All these stories are easy to read and utterly delightful.  The characters crisscross into each other’s stories in a way that’s exciting and fun. Highly recommended for teens looking for a good romance and great writing.

The Annotated Hobbit: The Hobbit, Or, There and Back Again

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

I listened to this one on audio years ago and really...didn't like it.  Honesty, I was bored to tears!  BUT reading it through this time for my program, I thought it was great fun and completely enjoyable.  I guess the audiobook was simply not a good fit for me.  (Also, let me know if you can think of any great ideas for my teen Hobbit program tomorrow!)

Now I am Currently Reading:

 Tiger Lily The Book of Dead Days (Book of Dead Days, #1) Seraphina (Seraphina, #1)

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
The Book of Dead Days by Marcus Sedgwick
Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Reading the Sedwick for my December Teen Newsletter as well (I *really* need to finish it so I can write the review!)  Love the writing in Tiger Lily although I feel as if the story is held at a distance from me.  Unabashedly ADORE Seraphina.  If it weren't for a little work called Code Name Verity, it would be my favorite novel of 2012.

I still want to start the same three books that I wanted to start the last time I posted!

This is How You Lose Her  The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) The Brides of Rollrock Island

This is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz
The Diviners by Libba Bray
The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan

Would also like to knock out a quick MG novel.  The two I have checked out currently are:

Starry River of the Sky One for the Murphys

Starry River of the Sky by Grace Liln
One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

4 comments:

  1. Drop everything and read The Diviners. One of my absolute favs of 2012! I am waiting for the audio of Seraphina. I can't wait. Dragons! Good luck with your Hobbit program!
    http://wp.me/pzUn5-1kw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I so feel you're reading rut pain! I went through the same thing during September & October! The book that got me unstuck was Fourmile by Watt Key. Great MG novel! I also have to say though that I loved, loved, loved both One for the Murphys and Starry River of the Sky.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading ruts are hard and we all go through them. I went through one in the spring and then again in October. I tend to drift towards finding something really different to read to get me back on track. I loved One for the Murphys and I am so looking forward to the audio of Seraphina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for The Hobbit! I'm so completely jazzed for that movie. I'm going to do a chat in my room in January for any kids who see it. I have Tiger Lily on my endless shelf of "to read" and I adored Seraphina. Nice selection!

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!