Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

Currently Reading 12/31/12


Head over to Teach Mentor Texts to see what everybody else is reading!

This week I finished,

Seraphina (Seraphina, #1) and Tiger Lily

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Seraphina was fabulous in every way.  Wildly imaginative with great characters.  One of my favorites of the year.  Tiger Lily, on the other hand, was problematic.  The depiction of Indians was unsettling, and, beyond that discomfort that brought me, I just felt no emotion for the characters at all.  I just didn't care.  Some really lovely writing, though, and it's an intriguing premise.  Now I've gone and lost the library's copy of the book which I hate.

I am currently reading:

Sweet Tooth The Art of Tasha Tudor The Brides of Rollrock Island

Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan
The Art of Tasha Tudor by Harry Davis
The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan

I *hope* to get to:

The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) Ask The Passengers This is How You Lose Her

The Diviners by Libba Bray
Ask the Passengers by A.S. King
This is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz

5 comments:

  1. So glad you loved Seraphina! It's funny to hear what you think about Tiger Lily. I have it, but haven't gotten to it yet.

    Oh, and I got The Lesson (a Stephanie Brown Batgirl volume) and loved it! I saw you had it marked as "to read" in GR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. . . I have Tiger Lily from my library as one of a big pile of books to read and return in the next few weeks. I may move this title to near the bottom . . . only so much reading time! I also have Diviners in this pile. Looking forward to this title. I recently read Ask the Passengers and enjoyed it a lot. Requested another A.S. King title from the library and will read Everybody Sees the Ants hopefully soon. (Wondering if I can stretch a week to say 8, 9, 10 days to get all of these books in!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have This is How You Lose Her near the top of my to be read pile, but now I see I'll have to add Seraphina in there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have convinced me I need to read Seraphina. So many people are reading it and it has just been hammered into my head that it needs to go on my to-read list even though I generally have an aversion to high fantasy. Must fill in those book gaps though as Donalyn would say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This must be the third or fourth time that I've seen Seraphina. Like Beth noted, I am sold. I would definitely look for this title in our libraries. Thank you as well for sharing your candid thoughts about the books you've read. Always refreshing. I'm intrigued with Junot Diaz' book. I tried reading Oscar Wao a few months back but didn't get to finish it. Maybe in time I'd pick it up again when it resonates better with me.

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!