Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

Currently Reading 1/28/13

What an exciting day!  The ALA Youth Media Awards were not only announced this morning, but it's also time for:  It's Monday!  What Are You Reading?


 
Head on over to Teach Mentor Texts for more awesome posts.

Just managed to finish two books this week (and one was a reread):

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
The Giver by Lois Lowry



I posted more about Sharp Objects here. It's the first of my 2013 Feminist Reads Challenges.  I love both of the books, The Giver is a classic for a reason.  Not one of my personal favorites but I totally see why it has such a devoted fanbase.  I just long for the characters to have a bit more personality.  A great example of how you don't need a huge page count to write a deep and meaningful book, though.  I've read The Giver before but I liked it even better this time around.  It certainly deserves a second or third or fourth reading!

right now I'm reading:

The Brides of Rollrock Island
The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan

I'm taking my time reading this book because I love it so. The writing is so lyrical and just plain gorgeous.

Am going to try to read some of the Newbery and Printz winners that I haven't gotten to yet (which is most of them).  Planning on starting the audio of this one on my ride home today:

Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz



And I have these checked out right now:
In Darkness
In Darkness by Nick Lake
Bomb by Steve Sheinkin
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe how much love both Aristotle and Bomb got today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who designed that Darkness cover? It reminds me of the Little Bee cover (love it). I've got to add the award winners to my to-read lists! The Brides of Rollrock Island looks intriguing. I just finished a beautiful book (Girlchild) and Brides might be a nice comparison. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a good question (about the cover!) I don't have the actual published book, just the ARC and I can't find any info about the cover in it. Must investigate further. It is a beautiful cover though!

      Delete
  3. It will have to be Bomb and Aristotle for me soon. So much recognition. Splendors and Gloom looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Bomb! I read it over winter break so I could write my Nerdy post for the NF winners. So happy it got love!

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!