Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Currently Reading 1/7/12

Happy Monday!  It's time for:

Head on over to Teach Mentor Texts and Book Journey for some more updates.

So THIS happened on New Year's Day:
Pinned Image
that's right!  I'm engaged!  Needless to say, most of my free time has been spent wedding planning and not reading!  I have been very indecicive in my reading habits this week.  I tried to read:

Sweet Tooth 
Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan
but it was due at the library and had about 12 holds on it so I had to return the book before finishing it.  I really like what I've read, though.

I started listening to:
One Whole and Perfect Day
One Whole and Perfect Day by Judith Clarke
but I got bored and decided I wanted to listen to the second Girl with The Dragon Tattoo book instead.  Which I haven't started yet because I keep listening to love songs because I AM ENGAGED!

I also started rereading:
The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket
for my other blog Black Whimsy but I haven't finished it yet (Which is really depressing because it's such a super short and easy-to-read book)

I have not yet given up on:
The Brides of Rollrock Island
The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan
but it's not exciting me at all...I'm not too far into it yet though, just about 50 pages.

now, I am leaving for NEW YORK CITY TONIGHT.  I am going to see this play:

The Heiress, Jessica Chastain, David Strathairn, Dan Stevens, By Ruth & Augustus Goetz, Directed By Moises Kaufman

SUPER excited as I am a BIG fan of this story and Jessica Chastain (have you seen the 1949 film version with Olivia DeHavilland?  AMAZING).  It will also be my VERY FIRST TIME in NYC. 

ANYWAY, the big question is: what books shall I bring on my trip?  This has caused me endless pondering.  I want to bring a book that will keep my interests but isn't too heavy but is super thick so I don't run out of things to read.

I thought about this:
The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)
The Diviners by Libba Bray
but I have it on audiobook downloaded onto my phone.

I thought about this:
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
but I don't actually own it and it's pretty expensive at the bookstore.

I thought about this:
Anna Karenina
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
but it scares me.

I thought about this:
Ask The Passengers
Ask the Passengers by A.S. King
but I am afraid I would read it too fast.

I thought about this:
The Handmaid's Tale
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
but it's a library book and I am afraid to take a library book because 1. I don't want it to get lost or damaged.  2. Library books have a tendency to make alarms go off at inopportune moments.

I thought about this:
Sharp Objects
Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
but, again, library book.

I thought about rereading this:
The Silver Linings Playbook
The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
but I kind of want to read something new.

I thought about this:
Serena
Serena by Ron Rash
and I can't really think of a reason NOT to read this...

I have to decide soon as I am leaving at 2:00pm TODAY!




10 comments:

  1. OMG! You're engaged! Congratulations! How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your engagement! I would bring Ask the Passengers. When I travel I always over estimate how much time I will actually spend reading. Can you download an ebook on your phone too as back up, just in case? Have a super trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! What a fun post - kind of indicates the "all over the place" excitement you must be feeling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulation! I love the excitement evident in your post. Have a great trip. I second Ask the Passengers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!

    I brought The Diviners on my trip to New York, and it was perfect. Since it's set in New York City, you can put yourself in the story that much more easily. It was also long enough that I didn't need anything else, even though I was there for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find the Lemony Snicket books very hard to read. His new series is a little easier to get through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your engagement! :)

    I've had The Handmaid's Tale on my Kindle for almost a year now. :/ I plan on reading it in February for my adult pick of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulation on your engagement! How wonderful! Have a great time in NYC, and thanks for the great variety of book titles. Best wishes and happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! What a great way to start the year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! Best wishes on your engagement.

    I'll be curious to hear what you did pick.

    I actually liked the first Snicket series better than the new one that just started.

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!