Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Currently Reading 2/11/13

 
 
I feel like I've read tons this week, but all I've actually finished has been graphic novels.  These graphic novels:
 
Rabbi Harvey Vs. The Wisdom Kid: A Graphic Novel Of Dueling Jewish Folktales In The Wild West Friends with Boys Captain Marvel - Volume 1: In Pursuit of Flight (Marvel Now) Hawkeye, Vol. 1: My Life As A Weapon
 
Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks
Captain Marvel: In Pursuit of Flight by Kelly Sue Deconnick illustrated by Dexter Soy and Emma Rios
Hawkeye: My Life as a Weapon by Matt Fraction illustrated by David Aja and Javier Pulido
 

Rabbi Harvey is maybe the funniest graphic novel I've read ever.  It is very much in my wheelhouse, so to speak, though.  All four of the graphic novels were stellar works.  Hawkeye has some of the best art I've ever seen in a graphic novel.  Very original. (I also caught up on all the published comic books issues of Captain Marvel and Hawkeye).  Friends with Boys is simply a great YA GN and one I will be recommending often to the teens at my library.
 
 
I am currently reading:
 
Splendors and Glooms Dark Places In Darkness Hawkeye and Mockingbird: Ghosts
Splendors and Glooms by Lauran Amy Schlitz
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
In Darkness by Nick Lake
Hawkeye and Mockingbird: Ghosts by Jim McCann and illustrated by David Lopez
 
I hope to start this week (for the Yalsa Hub Reading Challenge) :
 
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe Ten  My Friend Dahmer
Ten by Gretchen McNeil
My Friend Dahmer by Derf Backderf

11 comments:

  1. I loved Friends with Boys. Haven't read any of the other graphic novels here. I also loved Splendors and Glooms..I'm anxious to see if middle grade readers will too.

    Great list...TEN sound intriquing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friends with Boys is so good! I am right with you in wondering if middle grade readers will enjoy Splendors and Glooms. It's very good, but slow-moving.

      I can't wait to read TEN! It sounds awesome, doesn't it!?

      Delete
  2. Do you get all these graphics before they release? I am so jealous if so!

    I am reading Ultimate Spiderman, and waiting on Gail Simone's entire run of Birds of Prey to come in from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get some GNs before they release, but not these. I just read the comic books that are collected in these GNs and thought it would be easier to just list the actual books than each issue of comic book! Sorry for the confusion!

      Are you reading the new Ultimate Comics Spiderman (the one with Miles)? My fiance LOVES that series. I am a big fan of the New 52 Birds of Prey. Haven't read any of Simone's take on the characters yet, but I love her writing of the new Batgirl.

      Delete
    2. I was reading the Ultimate Spider-man but got so far behind! I loved the start of it. I should see if my library has the trades that are out so far. I'm behind on BOP too.

      I've read several of Gail's BOP issues. I just love her. Did you see she is starting on a new series for DC AND keeps teasing working on a "character I love but haven't ever written before"? I keep hoping it will be something Star Wars related.

      Delete
  3. Oh Hannah, these are lovely titles. My eleven year old daughter finished reading Friends with Boys in around two hours' time, she loved it. She's now devouring Ichiro - looks like a fascinating read. Will check out your other two titles for her. Nick Lake's book, I know was a surprise win for the Printz, I really should get around to reading that one. I have an affinity for dark themes. I've been intrigued by the Aristotle and Dante book for quite awhile now, I hope to read that one too soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed Friends with Boys too. I only managed one graphic novel this week-the new Fables. Talk about dark! I liked My Friend Dahmer-total local appeal for me as a Clevelander. Ten was a pretty good, quick read. Have a great reading week! http://wp.me/pzUn5-1pL

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Friend Dahmer was one of my favorite reads last year. I think it truly has universal appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read Aristotle and Dante--I've been hearing such great things. And I've been hearing lots of good buzz on Friends with Boys, too. I like all these " confirmed" YA recommendations as I wade more into the world of YA! :)

    --Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay Graphic Novels!!!!

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reading Captain Marvel now - and I want to go back to my copy of Almost Astronauts to cross reference some of the characters. Maybe I'll do a post that includes both titles. I think I'll review Captain Marvel for my friend's site.

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!