Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Currently Reading 2/18/13

head on over to Teach Mentor Texts and Book Journey for the roundups!


This week I read:

Hawkeye and Mockingbird: Ghosts In Darkness Captain America: The Death of Captain America Vol. 1: The Death of the Dream
Hawkeye & Mockingbird: Ghosts by Jim McCann and David Lopez (Good, but not nearly as good as the new Hawkeye series.)
In Darkness by Nick Lake (This deserves a whole post.  It's a really well-written book, but I'm not completely sold in its depiction of Haiti as a world of voodoo and violence and nothing else.)
The Death of Captain America Volume 1 by Ed Brubaker, Mike Perkins, and Steve Epting.  (Wonderfully well-done.  One of the best Marvel GNs I've read.)


Annie Sullivan and the Trials of Helen Keller Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe My Friend Dahmer
Annie Sullivan and the Trials of Helen Keller by Joseph Lambert (Amazing and well-researched.  The way Lambert depicts Helen's world in images is particularly laudable.)
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz (Hands down one of the best YA books of 2012 and totally deserving of all those ALA awards.  Now I want to read everything this author has written.)
My Friend Dahmer by Derf Backderf (Creepy as all get-out.  Another book that is completely deserving of all those ALA awards it received, and I feel this is already on its way to becoming a classic GN.)

I am currently in the midst of:
Splendors and Glooms Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Vol. 2: The Burden of Dreams Dark Places
Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz (still plugging away on the audiobook)
The Death of Captain America: Volume 2 The Burden of Dreams (Equally as good as the first volume so far)
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (had to put this on hiatus for a while as the library's copy had a hold on it!)

This week I plan to read:
Ten  This is Not a Test Drama 
Ten by Gretchen McNeil
This is not a Test by Courtney Summers
Drama by Raina Telgemeier

Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb Captain America: The Death Of Captain America Vol. 3: The Man Who Bought AmericaBatwoman: Elegy
The Death of Captain America Volume 3: The Man Who Bought America by Ed Brubaker, Steve Epting, Luke Ross, Roberto de la Torre
Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka, J.H. Williams III

WHAT ARE YOU READING???

12 comments:

  1. Oh a comic book reader! I stormed through a bunch of graphic novels myself this past week. I really love Drama, I bought it when she was in town for a conference because I loved Smile so much. Enjoy!

    What the Book Monsters are reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting ready to start Splenders and Glooms. What do you think of it so far?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of lovely reads here. I actually borrowed Fire Spell from our library (the other title of Splendors and Glooms) but haven't touched it yet. Aristotle and Dante does sound like a riveting read. Nick Lake's In Darkness also intrigues me - hopefully I could read that one soon. :) Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You read a ton last week! I'm still on the fence about reading In Darkness, partly because I'm afraid I'm not going to like it and then I'm going to be even more mad that The Fault in Our Stars didn't win.

    I'm also afraid to read Aristotle and Dante because so many people loved it and I have a tendency to dislike books that other people rave about (Divergent, what?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen Keller looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am waiting for my copy of Aristotle and Dante to arrive at my book store any day now. I also downloaded Splendors and Gloom on my Kindle, but have not started it yet. I have a small infatuation with Helen Keller. Your book looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad I took the time to read Captain Marvel. We should get a meme going for sharing GNs and comics. *grins*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of those award winners caught me off guard! I had to order In Darkness and Aristotle and Dante. Oops. Ten is a super fast read and I really loved This is Not a Test. Have a great reading week!
    http://wp.me/pzUn5-1qf

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Some cool titles here. I will have to give Dahmer a try. You are bumping my TBR list over 700 though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have read so much! I cannot wait to start Aristotle and Dante - it is sitting on my bedside table just waiting for me to begin it tonight! I just picked up Splendors and Glooms for my daughter. I'm not sure if I want to pick it up and read it myself or not. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots to choose from here-wow! I have bookmarked the Aristotle and Dante book & the one about Helen Keller. I loved the earlier one about her, so this is a must read. Thanks for telling again about In Darkness. I'm not sure I want to read it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!