Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

Currently Reading 2/25/13

head on over to Teach Mentor Texts and Book Journey for the round ups!

This week, I read:

Holes (Holes, #1) Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Vol. 2: The Burden of Dreams Scarlet, Vol. 1

Holes by Lousi Sachar: A reread.  Just as amazing this time around.
The Death of Captain America Vol. 2: The Burden of Dreams by Ed Brubaker, Butch Guise, Steve Epting, Mike Perkins.  Really love this story.
Scarlet by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev.  I think the story is well-done, but I'm just not a fan of the whole vigilante plot.  I see that volume 6 of the comic book was just published, though.  I'll definitely pick it up.

Captain America: The Death Of Captain America Vol. 3: The Man Who Bought America Drama 
The Death of Captain America: The Man who Bought America by Ed Brubaker, Steve Epting, Luke Ross, Roberto de la Torre.  A great end to the story.
Drama by Raina Telgemeier:  I love Telgemeier SO MUCH.  I think I might have even enjoyed this story more than Smile (and I ADORE Smile!)
Birds of Prey volumes 10-16 by Duane Swierczynski, Travel Foreman, Jesus Saiz: Goodbye Katana!  Hello Strix!

 
Avengers Assemble volumes 9-12 by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Stefano Caselli : Started reading this because I'm such a fan of Captain Marvel (also written by DeConnick).  I have a slight feeling that this is the Newbies' guide to The Avengers, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it to pieces.

Currently, I am in the midst of:

Dark Places Splendors and Glooms The Basic Eight
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn: Did I mention that I had to return this book because it had a hold on it?  Well, I haven't gotten it back yet.  I want to finish it though!
Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz: I'll finish this one of these years.  I like the characters but it is SO LONG.
The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler: OH HOW I LOVE THIS BOOK.

Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb Ten  Batwoman: Elegy
Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb by Jonathan Fetter-Vorm.  I got confused in the first 8 pages.  I didn't read much after that.  Science scares me.  I will finish it though!
Ten by Gretchen McNeil: A quick read.  It's fun, but not as well-written as I'd like.
Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams III: I think Williams is my favorite comic book illustrator I've so far encountered. GORGEOUS!

This week I hope to get to:
This is Not a Test The Madman's Daughter (The Madman's Daughter, #1) Hawkeye & Mockingbird/Black Widow: Widowmaker
This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers:  A bit squeamish about zombies, but Summers is one of my FAVORITE YA authors.  Hoping this will be a quick read.
The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd:  A coworker of mine was in writer's group with this author!  AND I hope to get her to speak at my library's Teen Lit Fest this year.  So, needless to say, I'm super excited to read this book!
Hawkeye and Mockingbird and Black Widow: Widowmaker: I didn't love the first Hawkeye & Mockingbird GN, but I liked it well enough to read this sequel of sorts.

Stargazing Dog The Avengers, Vol. 1 Batwoman, Vol. 2: To Drown the World
Stargazing Dog by Takashi Murakami: Part of my quest to read Yalsa's top ten great graphic novels.
The Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis and John Romita Jr.: I've been told this is a good place to start for those of us who have never read Avengers comics before.  We'll see.
Batwoman vol. 2: To Drown the World by J.H. Williams IIIW. Haden BlackmanAmy ReederTrevor McCarthy:  Trying to catch up on my Batwoman comics.

5 comments:

  1. This is Not a Test is barely about zombies, don't worry! There are a few tense zombie scenes, but it's really about the living who are dead inside. So awesome. I need to get on Madman's Daughter too, but probably not this week. Be brave! Happy Reading! Here's by week http://wp.me/pzUn5-1qI
    Also, if you poke around the blog there is a review of This is Not a Test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the privilege of driving Raina Telgemeier around for a day, and she is just as awesome as her books lead you to believe. If you ever get a chance to see her speak, take it. She gives a visual presentation and a drawing demonstration and is just an all-around engaging personality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love Daniel Handler and fell in love with Why We Broke Up, I would definitely look for this one. I borrowed "Fire Spell" aka Splendors and Glooms from the library but haven't gotten around to reading it yet, I am reading mixed reviews about it. I don't think I can afford to read a 'too long' book at this point. I always love seeing your graphic novel recommendations here - as my daughter is just such a huge fan, I'd check out Drama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Batwoman Elegy looks fantastic. I wish I had time to read all of these, but will at least put that one on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a great list of books and so many cool comic books. :-) Already ordering some of the books on this list.

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!