Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

Currently Reading 2/4/13

It's once again time for:

head on over to Teach Mentor Texts and Book Journey for round ups!

I read two books this week:

The Brides of Rollrock Island  The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket

I ADORED the Lanagan and I want to post more detail about it in a subsequent post, as I think it's an excellent book to think of in light of:


The Bad Beginning is a reread for me (so delightful!), and I hope to post a review on Black Whimsy.

My future reading will be colored by The Hub's (YALSA's blog) reading challege:

reading challenge logo


basically, it involves reading all (or at least 25) of the 2013 YALSA award winners including:
Printz Award and Honors
Stonewall Award and Honors
YA Schneider books
Top 10 Best Fiction
Alex Award
Top 10 Great Graphic Novels
Top 10 Quick Picks for Reluctant Readeres
Top 10 Amazing Audios
Morris Award and Honors
Top 10 Popular Paperbacks
Nonfiction Award and Honors

This week I will start with the Printzy books:

In Darkness  Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
In Darkness by Nick Lake

I also very much want to read the Newbery books.  Currently I am listening to:

Splendors and Glooms
Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz




7 comments:

  1. I really must get to The Brides of Rollrock Island. It's a selkie story, right? I was caught off guard with the Printz list so I had to order some books. Oops. Have a great reading week! http://wp.me/pzUn5-1p9

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your YALSA challenge sounds like the perfect way to catch up on the "missed that one" books. What are you thinking about Splendors and Glooms? Beautiful writing, but still waiting to hear anyone tell me a kid has read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brides looks cool. I used to never have kids notice my last name and connect it to the seal legends, but then there was a Selkie in a Magic Tree House book :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Splendors and Gloom, but like notforlunch said, I don't know if kids are going to dig it as much as the adults are. I'm a huge fan of Unfortunate Events, great series for kids. Have you read Snicket's newest?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, there's a lot of different challenges out there. The Yalsa one sounds good. And, I liked hearing about that first series you mentioned, by a Lanagan. And I hope you do like Splendors and Glooms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't care for the Lemony Snicket books (the tone? not sure why), so when after 13 books, we still didn't know exactly what VFD was, I was sort of angry! No denying its kid appeal, though! I have a whole list of books that are like methadone for Snicket addicts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm working on a blog post for Aristotle and Dante. It's so great reading a book that you just want to tell everyone about!

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!