Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Currently Reading 3/11/13

Bomb scare at my library today, So I'm not getting this up as early as usual.  We are cleared now, though, so it's once again time for:
head on over to Teach Mentor Text and Book Journey for more posts!

This week I finished reading:

Three Times Lucky Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City The Basic Eight
Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage: LOVE.  Convinced this has one of the best voices of MG fiction.  SO many lines I would have underlined if it hadn't been an audiobook... (Was I the only one who thought that The Colonel and Miss Lana were the same person? I was?  Oh, ok.)  The audiobook narrator is GREAT but her accent does not sound in any way North Carolinian (at least not in my experience...I live 1/2 hour away from North Carolina). *****
Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City by Guy Delisle: I really learned a lot from this book, even though it wasn't really an informational text.  I was confused most of the time, but the author had a fun, wry sense of humor which helped me keep reading even though I know nothing about modern-day Israel.  Really made me want to read more about Israel too. ****
The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler: So much dark fun.  The strange style (that Daniel Handler is so famous for) did get old after a while, but it's still a five star book to me. *****

The Night She Disappeared  A Flight of Angels The Avengers, Vol. 2
The Night She Disappeared by April Henry: hmmm, this one is definitely a quick and easy read and I see it being popular with teens (because of that and because of the dramatic and intriguing premise)  but I didn't think it was all that great of a book.  The characters were uninteresting and slap-dash, the plot predictable, and the themes never fully-realized.  Not one of my favorites published in 2012.*** (WHY IS THERE A WHITE BACKGROUND HERE??? GO AWAY WHITE BACKGROUND!!)
A Flight of Angels edited by Rebecca Guay: Not sure about this one.  The artwork is beautiful, but I can't say I particularly liked all these various stories about angels.  The whole things seemed disjointed and odd to me (not to mention some of the stories were very confusing).  It seemed like there wasn't really enough story here for a book, if that makes sense.  Or, maybe the stories were good, but just not fleshed out enough.  I don't know.  Not really my thing.  ***
The Avengers Vol. 2 by Brian Michael Bendis and Bryan Hitch: I am convinced this brief TBP has every Marvel character ever in the history of ever.  I had to look up somebody in the Marvel Encyclopedia in basically every cell.  DESPITE that, I really enjoyed this story and the characters (and I learned bunches of new superheroes!) ****

We Visit Israel
We Visit Israel by Laya Saul: Read this because Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City was so completely inexplicable to me.  It's about what you would expect from a juvenile travel guide.  Not much useful info, but good enough for someone like me that knows nothing about anything about the Middle East. ***

currently reading:

Bomb: The Race to Build—and Steal—the World's Most Dangerous Weapon  Dark Places Winger
Bomb: The Race to Build - and Steal- the World's Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin: This is so good!  Can't wait to finish it.  It makes much more sense to me than Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb (probably because Sheinkin focuses more on people than on science.  At least so far)
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn: STILL hasn't come in for me from the library.  I've official forgotten everything I've read so far.
Winger by Andrew Smith:  I like it!  I'm only something like 10 pages in or so, but, so far so good!

will read:
Dodger New Avengers: The Reunion Life of Pi
Dodger by Terry Pratchett: My last Printz book to read for this year!  Excited!
New Avengers: The Reunion by Jim McCann and David Lopez: I don't know why I keep reading these Hawkeye/Mockingbird books because none of them have been outstanding...
Life of Pi by Yann Martel: High School book club this Thursday is on this book.  Can't wait!  I loved the movie.

The Silence of Our Friends Blankets Every Day
The Silence of Our Friends by Mark Long, Jim Demonakops, NatePowell: on YALSA's Top Ten Great Graphic Novels list this year.
Blankets by Craig Thompson: Loaned from a friend.  Heard it's a GN classic.
Every Day by David Levithan: Have heard good things.  I think this is on YALSA's Top Ten BFYA list.  I think.

 Love and Other Perishable Items Daredevil, Volume 1 Thor: Ages of Thunder
Love and other Perishable Items by Laura Buzo: Morris finalist.  It looks intriguing.
Daredevil by Mark Waid, Marcos Martin, Paolo Manuel Rivera: YALSA's Top Ten Great Graphic Novels.  Have heard stupendous things, but my fiance couldn't finish it.  We shall see.
Thor: Ages of Thunder by Matt Fraction, Patrick Zircher, Clay Mann: Hoping to see Matt Fraction at HeroesCon this June so I'm reading up on his work.  LOVE his Hawkeye.

The Round House
The Round House by Louise Erdrich: Alex Award.  I like Erdrich's stuff.

3 comments:

  1. That is an impressive line up in your queue! I surprised myself by how much I liked Every Day . . . so unique. I'm totally loving Bomb, which I'm about half-way through. This is one I'm going to be recommending a lot! If I had to pick one Daniel Handler to read first, what would you pick?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished BOMB this week and loved it. I agree that Sheinkin focuses more on the players than on the science which makes it much more of a human interest story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You have a great selection here! I loved Every Day. I will definitely be adding these to my TBR piles. By the way, I heard Daniel Handler speak a few weeks ago. He's very interesting!
    Have a great week of reading!

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!