Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Currently Reading 3/25/13

first off, did you read The Giving Tree Week?  Check it out here:

Now, it's time for:


head on over to Teach Mentor Texts and Book Journey for more posts!


Read Last Week:

Life of Pi New Avengers: The Reunion The Silence of Our Friends
The Life of Pi by Yann Martel ***** Loved it even though I didn't understand it completely...
New Avengers: The Reunion by Jim McCann and David Lopez ** That's it.  I give up on Hawkeye GNs not written by Matt Fraction.
The Silence of Our Friends by Mark Long, Jim Demonakos, Nate Powell ****Quite a complex depiction of the Civil Rights Struggle.  I felt it was one of the more unique, or at least under-depicted, viewpoints that I've read.  A very specific and personal story.  The artwork was quite good, although there were times when I had trouble keeping the characters straight.

Every Day Bomb: The Race to Build—and Steal—the World's Most Dangerous Weapon Winger
Every Day by David Levithan * Oh, the problems I had with this novel!  Mainly to do with the character of A who I felt was obsessive, pretentious, demeaning and self-centered.  I thought the story was pretty angsty and didactic too...a HUGE disappointment as I have loved Levithan's work in the past.
Bomb: The Race to Build - and Steal - the World's Most Dangerous Weapon  by Steve Sheinkin *****LOVED this book.  I feel like I "get" what happened with the bomb in a way I never have before, not even by reading Trinity (which I did really like too!) I love how Sheinkin focused so much on the real-life characters.  He was able to describe the many people who had a hand in this undertaking with such vivid detail in such a few sentences.
Winger by Andrew Smith ***** My first 2013 published book!  Woohoo!  What a way to start off, too.  This one was hilarious and tragic and very very real.

  Thor: Ages of Thunder
Thor: Ages of Thunder by Matt Fraction, Patrick Zircher, Clay Mann ** blah.  I don't think I like Thor.



Currently reading:

Dark Places The Round House Dodger\
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
The Round House by Louise Erdrich
Dodger by Terry Pratchett

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Vol.1 Batwoman, Vol. 1: Hydrology Love and Other Perishable Items
Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man by Brian Michael Bendis and Sara Pichelli
Batwoman: Hydrology by J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman
Love and Other Perishable Items by Laura Buzo


Will read:

Blankets Cracked Up to Be The Reluctant Journal of Henry K. Larsen
Blankets by Craig Thompson
Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers
The Reluctant Journal of Henry K. Larsen by Susin Nielsen

Catch-22 Fatale, Volume 1: Death Chases Me Saga, Vol. 1
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
Fatale vol. 1 by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips
Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples

Daredevil, Volume 2 Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl? The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)
Daredevil vol. 2 by Mark Waid, Paolo Rivera, Joe Rivera, Emma Rios, Kano, Khoi Pham
Powers: Who Killed Retro Girl by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater


5 comments:

  1. I allowed myself to abandon Every Day very early into it. I just could not buy into the premise at all. At first I felt bad, but I am over it now. Too many other great books out there. I enjoyed Saga-it's totally bizarro weird. Maggie Stiefvater won back my affections (totally lost with that werewolf drek) with Raven Boys! Ok, I am apparently really opinionated today! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opinions are great! I am glad I am not the only one who was not totally pleased with Every Day. I can't wait to start Raven Boys!

      Delete
  2. I am so excited for Winger! Andrew Smith recently joined the ranks of I-don't-need-anything-but-their-name-on-the-cover-and-it's-on-my-TBR-pile authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winger is AMAZING. It's the first thing I've read by Andrew Smith but I will definitely be catching up on his other books!

      Delete
    2. I wonder how Winger compares with Smith's other books. I have read several but most are well written but quite dark.

      Delete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!