Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

Currently Reading 3/4/13




This week I read:
Batwoman: Elegy Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb Ten
Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka and J. H. Williams III: Beautiful artwork, although the story didn't seem fully realized. Superhero graphic novel.  ****
Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb by Jonathan Fetter-Vorm: I think this is an excellent telling of the history.  I do not think I am smart enough to understand it fully. Non-fiction graphic novel.  ****
Ten by Gretchen McNeil: The writing wasn't the best but it certainly was chilling.  I love the idea of a modern YA retelling of an Agatha Christie novel.  There just aren't enough pure YA mysteries out there. YA suspense novel ****

The Professor's Daughter The White Bicycle Splendors and Glooms
The Professor's Daughter by Joann Sfar and Emmanuel Guibert: very cute and fun.  I loved it but it probably isn't a humor for everyone. Humor graphic novel **** (My friend Maria introduced me to this GN. Read her review here.)
The White Bicycle by Beverly Brenna: The voice is fabulous but everything else seems kind of washed out in comparison to Taylor's character. I can see how the Printz committee awarded this one, though. Coming of age YA novel ****
Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz: I think this is so well written, but it didn't grab my interest (which really surprised me because I generally love stories like this!) MG historical fantasy ****

Hawkeye & Mockingbird/Black Widow: Widowmaker The Avengers, Vol. 1 Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic
Hawkeye & Mockingbird/Black Widow: Widowmaker by Jim McCann, Duane Swierczynski, David Lopez, Manuel Garcia: It was fun.  Not great, but fun.  The best part was the end where they put in the Hawkeye story for the 80s. Superhero graphic novel ***
The Avengers Vol. 1 by Brian Michael Bendis and John Romita Jr.: I loved all the characters but the time travel plot was too confusing for me. Superhero graphic novel ***
Fun Home by Alison Bechdel: Very well done and intriguing. Memoir graphic novel ****

I am currently reading:
Three Times Lucky The Basic Eight Dark Places
Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage: I love this so much.  GREAT voice.
The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler: I love this so much too.  GREAT voice.
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn: My hold on this one still hasn't come in for me to finish it...I'm going to forget everything that's going on, I fear!

I plan on starting this week:
A Flight of Angels Saga, Vol. 1 Chroniques de Jérusalem
A Flight of Angels conceived and illustrated by Rebecca Guay
Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City by Guy Delisle

The Avengers, Vol. 2 Bomb: The Race to Build—and Steal—the World's Most Dangerous Weapon Winger
The Avengers vol. 2 by Brian Michael Bendis, John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson
Bomb: The Race to Build - and Steal - The World's Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin
Winger by Andrew Smith

The Night She Disappeared Daredevil, Volume 1 Every Day
The Night She Disappeared by April Henry
Daredevil vol 1 by Mark Waid, Marcos Martin, and Paolo Manuel Rivera
Every Day by David Levithan

7 comments:

  1. I read Saga a while back and it is so weird. In an awesome way! Enjoy your week. http://wp.me/pzUn5-1rb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your thoughts on Splendor and Glooms . . . I agree, amazing writing, but not for everybody and I'm still waiting for the review from a child. I can't wait to pick up Bomb this week and Three Times Lucky is next in line for the family audiobook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I would love to hear what a kid thinks of S&G too! I think there is a special kind of child who would eat it up, but I don't think the average kid would have the patience for it...but that's just a hypothesis, don't know any kids who have read it yet!

      The audio book for TTL is excellent (except the narrator sounds more like she's from Mississippi than North Carolina!)

      Delete
  3. Three Times Lucky was one of my favorite middle grade reads last year. The lighthearted and clever narration really tempered some of the serious issues being dealt with to make it perfect for that age group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list this week. I really am quite curious about The White Bicycle. That one was on no one's radar but it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendors and Glooms didn't do it for me, either. I keep thinking I need to give it another go to see what I missed the first time around... but there are SO many others to read!

    Batwoman's art is stunning, I agree. I only really read the first 6-8 issues. I am soooo far behind on monthly comics. You'll really want to try Emily and the Strangers once it comes out in trade (or via Comixology!) The first issue is out and the second comes out in a few weeks.

    I adored Saga.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also loved Three Times Lucky What characters. I keep seeing Splendors and Glooms - nothing has yet to motivate me to read it . . . Every Day was an absolute favourite of mine. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!