Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Giving Tree Week: Day #6 by Rebecca Huddleston

Today's post is by my friend, an intermediate school librarian, Rebecca Huddleston.

The Giving Tree was never a favorite of mine when I was young.  When I re-read it several weeks ago, this time well into the second trimester of what will be our first child, I had the hormonally-driven inclination to see it as a story about a parent's love and selflessness to a child.  By the end, however, I realized that it's still exactly what I always thought -- just a really sad story about selfless giving and selfish taking and lack of gratitude...not the picture I want for parental love and sacrifice.  Truly, it seems to be an unhealthy, unfulfilled relationship on both sides.  As such, I guess the best use of The Giving Tree from my perspective is that it can be used to teach personification in 6th grade language arts classes at my school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!