Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

Unleashing Readers Launch Week


It's Unleashing Readers launch week!  Check out Kellee and Ricki's awesome blog here.

Kellee kindly asked me to share with you my FAVORITE books in 5 categories (check out their descriptions of these categories here, and their personal choices here.)  My take on these categories might be a bit different, as I do not have a classroom at all, but am, in fact, a public library person.  Still, I have DEFINITE opinions!  So here we go:

1) your favorite read aloud, 

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken


I love this book SO much and I think it is wildly underappreciated.  This is my #1 read aloud for a variety of reasons:
1. The beautiful language just begs to be heard.
2. I think it's a book that many kids have not heard about before and may not find on their own.
3. I think it's an exciting story that has a wide appeal.
4. It has two very strong, likable little girl protagonists (and a WICKED villain!)

2) your favorite close read/analysis book, 
 The Queen's Thief Series by Megan Whalen Turner


Have you read this series?  It just begs to be studied!  SO MANY literary elements!  PLUS an intricate plot and characters and themes so deep you could drown in them.  Also, it's just plain fun to read.

3) your favorite lit circle/book club book, 
Smile by Raina Telgemeier


I lead a book club at my library each months and we have discussed OODLES of books.  This was by far my most successful discussion.  The kids could just relate to this graphic novel in so many surprising ways.  Even better, it's a book that made them EXCITING about reading and ready and willing to discuss, which is what I always yearn for in a book club book.

4) your favorite book for the classroom library, and  
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart


I chose this book because it is one that I want in the hands of every teenager.  Truly feminist YA novels that are also FUN are few and far between.  I think it shows teen girls how important it is for them to stand up for themselves, and it shows teen boys that strong girls are a GOOD THING.  plus it has awesome pranks.

5) your favorite book in general.  
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein


I am sure this choice surprises no one that knows me at all. I read this book roughly a year ago and fell in love.  I have since reread it 3 times and it has simply gotten better each time.  An exciting story, a impeccably researched historical account, but, most of all, a stirring, heartbreaking tale of friendship.  I drove 7 hours to meet the author, have 3 different autographed editions (American hardcover, American paperback, Canadian paperback.  I want the British versions too!), have costumes for both the main characters (A WAAF uniform that cost me several hundred dollars!)  and have just sent in the paperwork to have my license plate read "Verity."  My fiance has even agreed that we can name a daughter Verity.  Clearly, I LOVE THIS BOOK.

(that's me)

SO those are my favorites!  Make sure to check out Unleashing Readers to see more favorites!

7 comments:

  1. Great post! Thank you for your recommendations. I will check them out. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I HAVE to share these pictures with my students. Thanks for joining us for the blog hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your enthusiasm for Code Name Verity! :-) I enjoyed it very much, too - I listened to the audio. I have her new one on my Kindle from NetGalley. I'm excited to read it. I loved SMILE, too! :-)I haven't read your others, but it sounds like I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Smile on my list too! If I taught at a higher grade level Verity would be on my list too. I still haven't read The Thief. Looks good though. I just listened to The Wolves last month for the first time and really enjoyed it. Great choices all around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures Hannahlily!
    I, too, love Smile and although I haven't read The Wolves of Willoughby Chase, I have read Midnight is a Place which I loved.
    The other two I haven't read and obviously need to.

    Thank you for being part of the blog hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still need to read Code Name Verity, so hopefully I will this summer. I adore The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks. I read that a couple years ago and she's still one of my favorite characters. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your picks! I just read Code Name Verity and absolutely loved it as well. I have never heard of The Wolves of Willoughby Chase but judging from my similar feelings about the other selections on your list, I should read it immediately. Thanks for sharing this recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!