Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

Currently Reading 9/23/13

I'm BACK!  

After taking some time off to get all married and honeymoon and such, I have been back to reading this past week!  Yay!  
Here's what's up:
(And as always, head on over to Teach Mentor Text and Unleashing Readers for more Children's and YA lit roundups.)
3 (!) 5 star books read this week:

One Came Home by Amy Timberlake
*****
It's like True Grit for younger readers!  Such intriguing historical fiction/mystery.

*****
I'm beginning to think I like Gaiman better in short fiction mode.  LOVED this.  so imaginative.

*****
THIS LADY HAS MY LIFE.  Or, at least, my life as I would want it to be.  Except in TN, and whilst working in a library instead of graphic design, and with more goats.


Currently Reading:



Night Film by Marisha Pessl

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith AKA J.K. Rowling


To read:

The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson 

Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan

Midwinter Blood by Marcus Sedwick

Lincoln's Grave Robbers by Steve Sheinkin


7 comments:

  1. I was reading Night Film but it had a giant hold list, so I turned it back in before I got very far! I found it a slow read. I was intrigued by an interview with the author.

    I've heard great things about Counting by 7's but it sounded kind of Mitch Albom-y to me. How did you find it? (Reviews are often very misleading :))

    And I already AM in love with the English countryside :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about Gaiman. I'm really enjoying this shorter book. His work never really inspired me in the past but I'm really liking this one. I heard him speak at an event in Ann Arbor back in July and he is much funnier than I expected him to be. I just assumed he's be so serious and morose because those are the kinds of books he writes. He's actually quite hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your wedding! I hope you had fun on your honeymoon also. I really liked One Came Home also. I am intrigued by Made From Scratch. It sounds like I would like this book and I would like fantasizing about this life. I need to get my hands on the new Gaiman book. Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that you also enjoyed Ocean at the End of the Lane - I used this for a book club discussion with 9-12 yo at the library a few months back. It made for an interesting discussion on monsters and the distinctions between being a child and an adult. A lot of layers that can be uncovered in this gorgeous book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waiting for the audio for Ocean at the End of the Lane. I always find that I love Gaiman's books in audio format more.

    Happy reading this week! :)
    And: HAPPY WEDDING :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to love The Summer Prince. It had the makings of an awesome book. I don't think it helped that my student didn't like it. I am curious to hear what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed The Ocean at the End of the Lane and the Dragon Tattoo series. I am looking forward to a few of the others like Counting by 7s and Lincoln's Grave Robbers.

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!