Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

Currently Reading 10/21/13


Read this week:

The Sandman vol. III: Dream Country by Neil Gaiman **** (not as good as the first two volumes, but still great)
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor **** (I still don't like the romance)
Almost Home by Joan Bauer **** (manages to be very sweet yet very hard to read because of the tough subject.)

Tenth of December by George Saunders ***** (oh my goodness!)

Currently Reading:
Night Film by Marisha Pessl (I like it.  Just not motivated to finish it)
The Sacred Table by Mary Zamore (very interesting)
The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey (I love this one, it's just taking me a while to read because I'm listening to the audio)

Thor: God of Thunder vol. 1: The God Butcher by Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic  (really good)
Beatrix Potter: A Life in Nature by Linda Lear (I love this book!)
Stories Rabbits Tell by Susan E. Davis and Margo Demello (a bit dull to start out with...)

books that are ON HOLD for a bit:
The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan (Will read some day.  Today is not that day.)
Serena by Ron Rash (I really want to read this but I've decided to try to read the National Book Award finalists right now.)

Chick Days by Jenna Woginrich: (Had to return my copy to the library)
The Lucy Variations by Sara Zarr: (I will read this, but I now have the audio.  It's my next listen after the 5th wave.)
Get into Graduate School: (Not finding it particularly useful right at this moment.)

Lincoln's Grave Robbers by Steve Sheinkin: (I want to read this, but have too many other books to focus on.)
The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith: (I was stressed because of all the holds on it so I just returned it.  I still want to read it though!)

Books to start reading this week:

Murder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie (For a Mystery Night library program)
Bringing it to the Table by Wendell Berry

Steampunk Poe by Edgar Allan Poe (For my Poe themed Halloween party)
In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters (VSBA nominee)
The Flame Throwers by Rachel Kushner (NBA finalist)

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That is quite a list. I LOVED In the Shadow of the Blackbirds. I also enjoyed The 5th Wave. I started it on audio and decided that is wasn't working for me. Once I picked up a print copy I plowed through it. I think I passed my turn on Cuckoo's Calling. I will wait for it to show up on the shelf. Have a great week! http://wp.me/pzUn5-1Ip

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you've put books to the side, at least temporarily. Is it just me, or do the books on hold from the library all come in at once. The TBR can be so overwhelming. Glad you're keeping it real and keeping priorities with what you really need/want to read NOW. Joan Bauer's Almost Home was a pretty emotional read, wasn't it?

    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost Home was on the Cybils MG shortlist last year, and I read it while part of that panel. It is an emotional read, but has a great voice. And a cute puppy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there! I've read Steampunk Poe and enjoyed it, will be featuring it this week as well for our Poe-week-long special in anticipation of Halloween. I love your one-liners as you described each book and what works for you. It's the season of literary awards once again, enjoy going through the National Book Award finalists - bound to be great reading!

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!