Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

2014 Printz Predictions

Here are the books that I think are going to be named by the 2014 Printz Committee:

September Girls by Bennett Madison
I know this is divisive, but to me, it was hands down the best written book of the year.  SO thematically deep and I think the Printz committee will recognize it.  it seems as if many Printz books court some controversy and this one will be no different.

Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner
This is my No Guts No Glory pick.  Something about it just says Printz to me.  I don't even know what.

Far Far Away by Tom McNeal
This is my popular pick.  It is definitely literary, but it seems more widely read than my other choices.  I could also easily see it being recognized by the Newbery committee although it would certainly be at the older end of their spectrum (and the younger of the Printz).


The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson
The Midnight Dress by Karen Foxlee
 I think one of these gets in but I can't for the life of me pick between them.  I think they're both beautifully written and have fabulously interesting female protagonists.




Boxers & Saints by Gene Luen Yang
There are all sorts of questions as to how these will qualify, but I think they get in together.  They are just SO WELL-WRITTEN.  A brilliant concept impeccably executed.


If the above books DON'T make it, here is my next tier of surmises:

Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick
It has flaws and I've heard it doesn't stand up to a reread but there's no denying it is a powerful, beautiful story.

Winger by Andrew Smith
The more I think about this one the better I think it is.  On a different day I might put it among the winners.

A Corner of White by Jaclyn Moriarty
Haven't read this one or the following one so I'm just going on Word of Mouth and Gut Feelings.

Mortal Fire by Elizabeth Knox
See above

Charm & Strange by Stephanie Kuehn
I don't know, but this one really struck me as well-written intrigue and psychological thriller stuff, but at the same time great character scrutiny.  It's on the Morris shortlist but I could see it being a Printz honor too.

March: Book One by John Lewis Andrew Aydin and Nate Powell
I think a GN will be named this year and if it's not Boxers and Saints, look for this sleeper.

The one book that I don't think will be named but that I will scream in joy if it is:
I think the writting is just a teeny tiny tad bit awkward at some points, but OMG THAT MOOD.  It's INSANE.  Great plot too.

Finally, I just want to say I have nothing but praise and respect for the people who serve on the awards committees.  I know that they put so much work and time into choosing the eventually winners and honors  and I know it's very difficult and tons of pressure.  Props to the 2014 committee and their sure to be fantastic choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!