Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

ALA YMA 2013

So the ALA announced their Youth Media Awards this morning and I think several of the titles are ripe for Black Whimsy readings.  I am especially going to post this week about these two Caldecott books (the winner and an honor):

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen


Y'all remember when I posted about Mr. Jon Klassen here? I Want My Hat Back is still my favorite of his books, but I'm thrilled that This is Not my Hat won the 75th Caldecott (and his phenomenal Extra Yarn got a Caldecott honor.  It's not Black Whimsy but that doesn't mean it's not awesome!)

The other book I want to post about is:

Creepy Carrots by Aaron Reynolds and Peter Brown

It's like an episode of The Twilight Zone in picture book form!  This is one of my favorites (I own an autographed copy) and I can't wait to write about it in more detail.


Other winners today that I haven't read but think might be Black Whimsy:

All three of the Newbery Honors:

Bomb by Steve Sheinkin

Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz

Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage

This Printz Honor Book:

Dodger by Terry Pratchett
I almost added Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe onto the list as well as In Darkness, (the Printz Award recipient) but finally decided the former seems to not have enought black and the latter not enough whimsy.  I will definitely still read them, though.

Now, on to the 2013 books!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!