Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

Currently Reading 1/6/13


Read this week:

The Thing about Luck by Cynthia Kadohata: ALL THE INFO about their lifestyle was a bit much for me (I really don't care that much about Big Rigs) but I understood the value of it.  The characters are fabulously drawn and the coming of age story is stellar. ****1/2
The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson: I love these characters so much.  Less a traditional mystery than the first novel, but I thought the traditional mystery was the worst thing about the first novel, so I was fine with just learning more about Lisbeth and her history. ****1/2

Bluffton by Matt Phelan: It's a nice story, although it feels just a wee bit slight.  I think Phelan did a good job of making Keaton's childhood history approachable to kids.  Beautiful illustrations, as always with all Phelan's work.  ****1/2

Currently Reading:


The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater loving it, but I lost a disc to the audiobook so I had to take a break.  I did find the disc finally though so it's back to it!
Fullmetal Alchemist vol 1 by Hiromu Arakawa a lot more fun than I was expecting.
 Aimless Love by Billy Collins just lovely poems.  Delightful.


Scowler by Daniel Kraus Creepy as all get out.  super violent  and not for young teens!  Terribly engrossing!
The Flamethrowers by Rachel Kushner I had to return my library's copy because it had holds and I haven't been able to go by the bookstore and pick up my own copy so this one is temporarily on hold.
The Kingdom of Little Wounds by Susann Cokal another one that is NOT for young teens.  I like it, but I feel it's a little...wordy.


Orleans by Sherri L. Smith Just started this one.  Took me a bit to get used to they speech patterns of the narrator, but I like the story so far.
The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey  checked out the book since I simply was not making any progress with the audiobook.
The Sandman vol IV: Season of Mists by Neil Gaiman I think this may be my favorite volume of Sandman yet.

To Read:

Imprisoned by Martin W. Sandler

Poseidon by George O'Connor
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
The Golden Day by Ursula Dubosarsky





3 comments:

  1. I am such a fan of this Stiefvater series. Hoping you are enjoying it. I really liked the characters and interactions in The Thing about Luck. Liked it much more than I thought I would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't finished reading The Raven Boys yet, I keep on putting it off for some reason. I really should get back to it soonest as I also have a copy of The Dream Thieves lying on my shelves. I loved the Stieg Larsson series, I must have read them three or four years back. I was absolutely riveted. Fascinating reads, all three of them. I am a huge fan of Billy Collins' poetry, so I shall try to find Aimless Love. :) I hope to read The Thing about Luck this year as well. Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!