Pages

Monday, May 5, 2014

Currently Reading 4/30/14

read:


The Midnight Dress by Karen Foxlee: One of the best YA books of 2013, in my opinion.  The kind that twists your heart around; equal parts beautiful and tragic.  I think Edie is my future.

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy by Karen Foxlee: Another book by Foxlee who is quick becoming one of my favorite authors.  Also beautiful but not QUITE so tragic.  Delightful and sweet about the importance of imagination and bravery.

Maple by Lori Nichols: A doll of a picture book destined to make you want to name your next child after a tree.



currently reading:


Ronia the Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren: Loving this. old-fashioned but still wild entertaining.
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo: Have just started this one
The Kingdom of Little Wounds by Susann Cokal:  Wasn't sure what I thought about this one as it's full of adult circumstances, but now that I'm almost finished I've discovered I REALLY like it.  The trapped circumstances of the two protagonists is so real.


REREAD: The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman: Liking this so much more the second time.  Great characters.
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas: The plot is fabulous but I'm not too sure about the writing...
The Art of Happiness by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Howard C. Cutler M.D.: Just started this one too but It shows great promise!

A Beginner's Guide to Meditation edited by Rob Meade Sperry: Super dense (for me) but great information.


To Read:

REREAD: Black Butler volume 1 by Yana Toboso
Sandman V: A Game of You by Neil Gaiman
Noggin by John Corey Whaley



4 comments:

  1. "A doll of a picture book destined to make you want to name your next child after a tree."

    Isn't that the truth? I thought the same thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize Karen Foxlee had a book out last year. I've heard so much about Ophelia. I need to read both! I LOVED Maple! It reminded me of Sophie's Squash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Midnight Dress has a terrific cover! I have seen Maple in several Monday posts--really hoping my library will get it. The Golden Compass is one I've been thinking about rereading--perhaps on audio. I'd like to reread the whole series, but I always struggle to get myself rereading when there are so many new books still to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I do attend several classes of meditation here in Singapore for my yoga class. The longest one was 30 minutes of chanting and 60 minutes of meditation and an hour of yoga asanas - that was truly relaxing. Felt so light. The Golden Compass is one of my favorite series, I'd probably re-read this one with my 12 year old girl. The Midnight dress sounds beautiful indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!