Pages

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Why the Interview is Important

Here's what I think about the kerfuffle over The Interview: It's important.  No, it's not as important as some of the other stuff going on in the country lately, but it IS important.  Because part of what it means to live in a free country is having the right to see WHATEVER version of art you deem appropriate.  I don't think Rogen and Franco and Goldberg were or are trying to make a big political statement with the movie, but I don't think that matters.  I don't think what the movie IS matters one bit.  I don't even care if it's good or not. What matters is that someone threatened violence if we saw the movie.  I hate stupid comedies.  I'm not a fan of Rogen or Franco, but I think you should have the right to see any movie you want to see.  That's what freedom is.  What scares me about the whole ordeal, and why I think Sony was completely wrong to pull the movie is this: Ok, The Interview is stupid.  It isn't an indictment on a heinous government like it could have been.  But if you pull it, you give in to the threats, you set a precedent.  What do you do next year or the year after that when a movie comes out about North Korea that IS pertinent and timely and profound?    What if they threaten us again?  It's easy to say, that would be a different matter, but would it really?  Once you let a foreign power dictate what you can and can't see in your own country, where do you stop?  Movies are my first great love, and I want to be able to see my type of movies: the crazy, incoherent art house movies that I love.  and I think that means that you need to be able to see the movies you love too:  Fairy tale romantic comedies, or violent action movies, or, yes, stupid comedies.  And if you choose not to see it YOU HAVE THAT RIGHT TOO.  But, I think we all should at least be given the opportunity to decide for ourselves.

And if you think the whole thing was just some publicity stunt, don't even talk to me until you've done some research on movie marketing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!