Pages

Monday, February 16, 2015

Currently Reading 2/16/15

I didn't read near as much as I wanted to this week, but I did read Sense and Sensibility cover to cover in 24 hours so that's something, I guess...

READ:

**REREAD** Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen ****
This time I especially noticed the humor and how much of a TEENAGER Marianne is.  Still, though, I can't get over the fact that these characters don't really DO anything except think about men and marriage...
The Riverman by Aaron Starmer ****1/2
Riveting.  I absolutely could not put it down.  Loved the plot and the suspense and can't wait to read the sequel.  The cover does it a great disservice though, definitely younger YA age range.
Being Henry David by Cal Armistead **1/2
Not much in this novel works (The voice was unrealistic to me and Thoreau seemed entirely out of place, not to mention nothing that happens seems remotely in the realm of real-world possibility), but it certainly is suspenseful and somewhat interesting.


The Family Romanov by Candace Fleming ****1/2
Fascinating and sad.  I wondered at the translations of some of the quotes as they seemed to be in much more modern vernacular than I would have thought possible, but that's a small quibble.
Tina's Mouth: An Existential Comic Diary by Keshni Kashyap and Mari Araki **
REALLY disappointed in this one.  It had NOTHING to do with existentialism, just a shallow teen girl's diary about boys and friends.  I didn't even like the art.

PLUS 35 Picture Books my favorites of which were:

Dear Mr. Washington by Lynn Cullen and Nancy Carpenter
Matilda's Cat by Emily Gravett

Here is the World: A Year of Jewish Holidays by Leslaea Newman
Nana in the City by Lauren Castillo

Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Pena and Christian Robinson 



CURRENTLY READING: 

 **REREAD** Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedwick: read most of this the year it came out but never actually finished it for some reason...REALLY like it though.
**REREAD** The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater: Rereading so I can finally get to the sequels!
The Glass Sentence by S. E. Grove: SO LONG and really infodumpy so far.

Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith: Strange book....I like it very much but it's certainly...strange...
A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd: JUST started.
The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier: JUST started too.




TO READ:

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
Popular by Maya Van Wagener
Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer

The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson
Jackaby by William Ritter
Amity by Micol Ostow




8 comments:

  1. Curious to see what you think of Popular. The premise was good, but ... Something just didn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed All the Bright Places and Jackaby. Amity was very creepy. I am a big baby!
    Have a fun reading week! ~Megan
    http://wp.me/pzUn5-2g3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Riverman, too, but some teachers think it's too dark. I didn't know there was a sequel. Will look for it. I know some of the PBs, but Here Is The World looks nice, too. Last Stop On Market Street is getting lots of good talk-will find it, too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Nana in the City so much. Isn't The Riverman an incredible read. I shake my head just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't pick which books to comment on! I am glad to read your review of The Riverman. It is on my Must Read shelf! I hope you enjoy Snicker and All the Bright Places. I loved both of those. They are on my all-time favorites list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many great things in this post! I need to read The Riverman. I got it at NCTE2013, but I haven't read it yet. It is on my TBR book shelf. Grasshopper Jungle is one I need to read. I love Smith's work.
    Enjoy Snicker of Magic. It is a super special book.

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just picked up The Riverman from the library, but I've got such a pile to go through... On top of that, I just received an ARC of Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman. Grasshopper Jungle is such a ride, but I found out that it wouldn't leave me after it was done. It isn't the kind of book you can love I think, but it certainly is stunning and memorable. Hope you enjoy The Night Gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely enjoyed The Riverman - even more so when I found out there's a sequel, and like you, I'm excited to read what's next - quite a touch of darkness there. I've read another book by Aaron Starmer, The Only Ones. That one was quite interesting too. Grasshopper Jungle is a riot of a read.

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!