Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Must Read in 2015: Update #1

My Must Read in 2015 list had a whopping 56 titles on it because I have a complete inability to narrow down anything.  So far, I've read 9 titles so I still have a long way to go!




Thus far I've read:

The Folk Keeper by Franny Billingsley
As a HUGE fan of Billingsley's YA novel Chime, I was very excited to get to this one.  I didn't like it as well as Chime, and it seemed oddly long for a book less than 200 pages, but it's still enjoyable with a fantastic voice.

The Curiosities by Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff
I love short stories, and I'm pretty sure this must be one of the best YA compilations of them.  Some AMAZINGLY clever stuff here.  I was amazed by the stories the authors told in so few words.  Love these ladies (they all have standalone titles on my #MustReadin2015 list as well!)

Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner
LOVED! I found this story very moving and clever.  Hands down my favorite Dystopian novel.

Being Henry David by Cal Armistead
It's suspenseful, I'll give it that, but I thought everything to do with Thoreau was out of place, and the teen's voice (and the entire plot!) very unrealistic. 

The Riverman by Aaron Starmer
Couldn't put this one down.  Creepy and mysterious and I totally didn't see the ending coming.  Cannot wait to read the sequel!

Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick
The intricacies of these intertwining short stories are on another level than that of most YA books.  Well-deserving of the Printz award.  I want to name a daughter Merle now.

Complicit by Stephanie Kuehn
Gripping plot.  The characters aren't all that likable, but they aren't really supposed to be.  A page-turner.

Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour
A light, slight story, utterly unrealistic, but with endearing characters and a sweet lesbian romance.

Egg & Spoon by Gregory Maguire
Utterly delightful, if a bit long.  Baba Yaga must be one of the most vividly drawn adults in all of YA literature.

Up next:




2 comments:

  1. I've just added Glory O'Brien's History of the Future to my want to read list. I've also got Greenglass waiting for me. It will be interesting to compare notes later on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy Glory - I really liked it. I am also a big fan of Maggot Moon (whoa) and Riverman (also - whoa) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!