Pages

Monday, May 18, 2015

Currently Reading 5/18/15

READ:
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell ***** LOVE.  Great example of a book where, I didn't like any of the characters, (as in, if they were real I would definitely not hang out with them) but they were very real people experience very real circumstances.  The writing is amazing.  LOVED the segments of Simon Snow and can't wait for Carry On later this year!
**REREAD** The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater ***** LOVE.  Even better the second time.
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn ***** I love Gillian Flynn's characters.  They're so flawed but so tough and never fake.

Honey Girl by Lisa Freeman ** super disappointed in this one.  My mom was a Polynesian girl growing up in southern California in the 70s so I was SO EXCITED to read such a similar story.  But this just came off as silly and slight, with several lapses in historical accuracy.  I thought the resolution was good, but by that point it was too late.
This Side of Home by Renee Watson ****1/2 not perfect (at times a little heavy hitting and on the nose), but it deals with so many issues that YA tends to shy away from and has a stupendous African American protagonist.

Mesmerized: How Ben Franklin Solved a Mystery that Baffled all of France by Mara Rockliff and Iacopo Bruno ****1/2 fascinating story well told.  

Katie Loves the Kittens by John Himmelman ***** How have I never read this book before?  Adorable!
The Girl and the Bicycle ***** So sweet without being saccharine or predictable.
Currently Reading:


The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
If You Find this Letter by Hannah Brencher
Greenglass House by Kate Milford

The Whisper by Aaron Starmer
Under the Egg by Laura Marx Fitzgerald
Infandous by Elana K. Arnold

Far Far Away by Tom McNeal
Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith

TO READ: 

All the Rage by Courtney Summers
Audacity by Melanie Crowder
Tell me Again how a Crush Should Feel by Sara Farizan

Eden West by Pete Hautman
Bone Gap by Laura Ruby
The Carnival at Bray by Jessie Ann Foley

4 comments:

  1. I just downloaded Bone Gap to listen to! I love The Raven Boys so much. Have a great week! ~Megan
    http://wp.me/pzUn5-2kf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great titles here! I recommend the ones I have read and loved: Bone Gap, and Far Far Away. Grasshopper Jungle is on my shelf and will be one of my summer reads along with The Whisper. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm kind of in love with all of those Raven Boys characters. I've read some of these: Bone Gap, Greenglass House and Grasshopper Jungle are stunners! I have to put Aaron Starmer on my list as I haven't read anything by him yet. Happy reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to read Far Far Away for a longwhile now - will really have to make an effort to find it in our library. I'm so envious of people who have already read Bone Gap - it still is not available in our library unfortunately. The carnival at Bray also caught my eye - looks like a really interesting read. Enjoy Grasshopper Jungle!

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!