Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Must Read in 2015 Summer Update!

I've been participating in #MustReadin2015, graciously hosted by Carrie over at There's a Book for That.

At our last check in, in April, I had read 9 books, which was not much of a dent in my goal of 55 (!) books, but it was SO MUCH MORE than I have to report this time!

I finished a grand total of 2 books from my list since April and I didn't like either of them very much!

Belzhar by Meg Wolizer: SO disappointed with this one, which I was really looking forward to as I love Sylvia Plath.  Everything just rang false to me.  And We Stay did almost this same plot so much better.

Far Far Away by Tom McNeal: Another popular, well-reviewed book I just was not a fan of.  SO MUCH potential but the execution didn't work for me at all.  Too many themes hinted at and then utterly dropped.  Too many drastic shifts in voice and character development.  Pacing issues throughout and characters SAID too much instead of showing it.  It needed an extremely deft hand to incorporate all the threads, which I don't think was present.

Right now I about half way done with 2 more of my #MustReadin2015 books, both of which I am enjoying:
The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
Greenglass House by Kate Milford

Up next, I have these books checked out:

Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers
How to Lead a Life of Crime by Kirsten Miller
The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

 
Glory O'Brien's History of the Future by A.S. King
Fiendish by Brenna Yovanoff
This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

I'm hoping to make up some time so maybe I can at least get done with half the books on my list before the summer is over!







4 comments:

  1. Greenglass House was on my list this year too. Quiet mystery - I liked how it all came together. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Greenglass House! It's one of my top books from the list. You've got some great titles on your list. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a former student whose favorite book that she re-read was the Greenglass House. I am on the third Stiefvater raven cycle book. She writes a good story for sure. Don't feel too bad. I only finished one this time, but the Stiefvater book is the next one! Happy reading! Your next ones look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Greenglass, Dream Thieves & Glory O'Brien, so I think you have some good ones ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!