Pages

Monday, August 31, 2015

Currently Reading 8/31/15

Check out Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers for more posts!

I had grand plans to finish the multiple books I am currently in the midst of this weekend, but those plans went awry and I finished NONE of my many currently readings over Saturday and Sunday!  I'm going to try really hard to finish a few of them before the #MustReadin2015 round up at There's A Book for That this Thursday!   

Here's the few I did finish earlier this week:

READ:

 Tenderness by Robert Cormier: It's very readable, but more than a little dated.  At times it seemed downright silly when it was definitely going for creepy, but at other times it was genuinely unsettling.  Laurie's voice was excellent and through her Cormier touched on some though-provoking subjects, although most of these were mentioned and then dropped. Eric is disgusting, as he should be, but all the relationships rang true, I thought.  The ending would have been surprising if it weren't EXACTLY like a very famous scene from a classic American novel (which I won't name because it will spoil this book for anyone who has ever read that classic American novel or seen the movie of it!) ***

Tell Me Again how a Crush Should Feel by Sara Farizan: There's a really good idea for a refreshingly diverse YA novel in here, but the writing is just way too simplistic.  The plot, characters, relationships, and themes were interesting but superficial, and the basic sentence construction often awkward.  Still, it's a quick and easy read and there is definitely a dearth of books about Persian-American teens let alone lesbian ones! ***

Baby Love by Angela DiTerlizzi and Brooke Boynton Hughes: Very sweet with darling illustrations.  I liked it more than most baby books!  ***1/2

Ask Me by Bernard Waber and Suzy Lee: I loved the illustrations, especially the use of color, and it's great to see a book with a girl and her dad(?) but my goodness the text bored me to tears. ***

R is for Rocket: An ABC Book by Tad Hills: It's fun to see all of Tad Hill's characters, and it's more interesting than many ABC books, but...it's still an ABC book which is probably my least favorite kind of picture book other than potty-training picture books. ***

I Will Take a Nap! by Mo Willems: I laughed.  Really hard.  *****

President Taft is Stuck in the Bath by Mac Barnett and Chris Van Dusen: This type of humor is just not for me.  Also, it seemed long? (but that may have been because this type of humor is just not for me).  **

Dinosaur Farm by Frann Preston-Gannon; LOVED this one.  The text is a basic farm story, but the magic is in the incongruous illustrations which are creative and adorable.  I want a Dinosaur Farm!  *****

Shivery Shades of Halloween: A Spooky Book of Colors by Mary McKenna Siddals and Jimmy Pickering: Fun book, would be a great read aloud for preschoolers, I think. ***1/2

Bear and Hare Go Fishing by Emily Gravett: There is no story here, but Emily Gravett's illustrations are utterly delightful, as usual.  ****


CURRENTLY READING:

Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge
Anything Could Happen by Will Walton
How to Lead a Life of Crime by Kirsten Miller

Railsea by China Mieville
Attack on Titan volume 1 by Hajime Isayama
The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma

The Carnival at Bray by Jessie Ann Foley
Adventures with Waffles by Maria Parr
Sammy and Juliana in Hollywood by Benjamin Alire Saenz

TO READ:
17 & Gone by Nova Ren Suma
Fiendish Brenna Yovanoff
The Green Glass Sea by Ellen Klages

 
This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers
I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest
Lament by Maggie Stiefvater

Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima
Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan

5 comments:

  1. I like hearing your ideas about the different books, have never heard of that one by Cormier, although I certainly liked The Chocolate War, although a long time ago. YA books have just gotten so much longer & more complex. I know what you mean about Ask Me, but I liked it because it was just how those conversations go, sweet and dependable, a little silly really. I do love the Elephant & Piggie stories, always wonderful, make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never a fan of Cormier. Our high school librarian recommended I Am the Cheese to my best friend, and we could never really trust her after that. It's been a long time since I was in high school, so I can't imagine how dated his stuff is now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turnip Head, right???? That was definitely the trippiest Elephant and Piggie yet!
    I agree, Ask Me was really missing something.... Surprising from Bernard Waber.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cuckoo Song looks hella creepy! That cover!!

    You've got some great books on your "to read" list, too. I loved ECHO this summer and Green Glass Sea was awesome historical fiction. I wish I could convince more kids to pick that one up. Princess X needs to make my list for next year... I'm still behind on my Must Read in 2015 list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the variety of books here. I read Echo a few months back and really enjoyed it. I am looking forward to finding the Homo Sapiens Agenda. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!