Pages

Monday, August 3, 2015

Currently Reading 8/3/15

Read:

Hold Me Closer: The Tiny Cooper Story by David Levithan: It's gimmicky and silly and obvious, but it would be pretty much impossible (and possibly even uninteresting) to do this type of thing without those qualities.  It's ALSO compulsively readable, with lots of heart and a fabulous protagonist; I just pity those who pick this up knowing nothing of Broadway musicals or Will Grayson, Will Grayson. ***
The Tight-Rope Walkers by David Almond: To me, every book David Almond has written up to this point was just a dress rehearsal for this novel.  I wasn't enjoying it at all until about 70% of the way through, when everything began to fall into place, the circumstances, themes, and characters circling back and around each other in electrifying and poignant ways.  By the end I was convinced this was one of the most masterful YA novels of the year.  I still don't know how Almond was able to make me care so much about a protagonist that does some pretty despicable things.  The quiet and mundanity of setting and plot make the few spurts of catastrophic violence all the more staggering.  Writing that is perceptive, kind, and beautiful. ****1/2
If You Find this Letter by Hannah Brencher: The parts that are actually about writing the letters and the impact they had is excellent, but most of the book is about the author's insecurities and need to feel important.  Oddly flowery writing for a memoir too. **1/2

 
The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater: I didn't really understand what was going on most of the time, but I have a suspicion that the plot to this series doesn't matter much except as a vehicle for Stiefvater's delicious prose and riveting characters. ****1/2
More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera: Startlingly assured debut with an excellent voice, pertinent themes, and masterful control of plot. ****1/2

Currently Reading: 

Glory O'Brien's History of the Future by A.S. King
Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers
The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Railsea by China Mieville
The Last Time We Say Goodbye by Cynthia Hand
Tell Me Again How a Crush Should Feel by Sara Farizan

Anything Could Happen by Will Walton
How to Lead a Life of Crime by Kirsten Miller
The Boy in the Black Suit by Jason Reynolds

To Read:

 
One Whole and Perfect Day by Judith Clarke
Circus Mirandus by Cassie Beasley
Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge

 
Audacity by Melanie Crowder
This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers
Fiendish by Brenna Yovanoff

Razorhurst by Justine Larbalestier
Lost in the Sun by Lisa Graff
Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee


9 comments:

  1. Stiefvater's prose is delicious! I'm eagerly waiting the fourth book now. I love how magic and the ordinary combine in this series, though the magical elements grow stronger with each book. Hold Me Close sounds like such fun. I loved Will Grayson, Will Grayson, so I definitely want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a geat week reading! I finished Circus Mirandus a couple weeks ago and it was excellent. Lost in the Sun is also on my TBR list.
    Corrina
    My list is here: http://www.allensteachingfiles.com/2015/08/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-8315.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking assortment of books. While I have heard of many of these, I've read none of them. I hope you enjoy the ones still on your stack. Come see my weekly report here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Raven Cycle! Stiefvater does amazing things with words. I will have to get Hold Me Closer. I have a lot of love for Will Grayson Will Grayson. Enjoy Glory O'Brien. That and Circus Mirandus were two books that I really enjoyed this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love all the Raven Cycle, goes too quickly when I read! I have the Almond and the Levithan books on my list too, never miss those writers either. I believe Almond is another of those mysterious authors that doesn't quite help us know what's really going on for a long time, but then, wham! Like always, many good reads here, Hannahlily. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a grand selection of books! Will definitely add The Tight Rope Walkers and More Happy Than Not on my list. Thanks for sharing! Enjoy reading your other books! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I NEED to read Tiny Cooper. Sigh. I have it, but just haven't gotten to it yet.
    The Almond book is getting a lot of love--I should probably try to get my hands on it.
    I have not read any of the Raven Cycle books. They are loved also. So many good books I haven't read!!
    I hope you love Glory O'Brien! She just won the Walden Award :)

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just telling someone today that I really want to read More Happy Than Not. Your review pushed me to realize I need to get to it! Thanks for the nudge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting insight about the David Almond book. I did not like the first book by him that I read, but maybe I will check this one out!

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!