Pages

Monday, October 12, 2015

Currently Reading 10/12/15


Check out Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers for the roundups!

The problem with reading newly published popular titles is that the I often have to take them back to the library before I have finished them because they have holds!  One of the reasons I am currently reading 10 books right now...
READ:

 Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox: I found the setting/world difficult to grasp and had a lot of questions about How Things Work but the writing is lovely and the story unique and engaging.  Laura and Rose are fabulous protagonists and the sand man concept especially fascinates. ***1/2

Lumberjanes by Noelle Stevenson, Grace Ellis, Brooke A. Allen: I wish it contained more than four issues and that some things were explained in a bit more detail (it seemed, on the whole, oddly truncated), but it's hard to complain about this fun and creative adventure story.  The artwork is delightful and the personalities of the five campers refreshingly devoid of stereotypes.  I'm definitely up for more!  ****1/2

The Nest by Kenneth Oppel: The creepiest novel I've read since Coraline.   Possibly my favorite read of this year so far.  Oppel's a hit or miss author for me, I recommend him all the time but rarely truly LOVE his work, but this is a whole new level of phenomenal.  The fact that something this short can have this much depth of theme, character development, and menace is amazing to me.*****

The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman illustrated by Chris Riddell: It's as beautifully written as I've come to expect from Gaiman, with a startling ending, I just wish the whole thing were longer and much more fleshed-out.  The realization of who the Queen is (which took me longer to guess than it probably should have) adds an interesting layer of texture.  The illustrations and text complement each other seamlessly.  ****

CURRENTLY READING:


Thistle & Thyme: Tales and Legends from Scotland by Sorche Nic Leodhas
Requiem by Lauren Oliver
Railsea by China Mieville

How to Lead a Life of Crime by Kirsten Miller
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge


An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord
Circus Mirandus by Cassie Beasley

Firefly Hollow by Alison McGhee


 TO READ:


The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima
The Lost Sun by  Tessa Gratton
Liars, Inc. by Paula Stokes


 Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool
We Are All Made of Molecules by Susin Nielsen
Razorhurst by Justine Larbalestier


 A Handful of Stars by Cynthia Lord
The Boys Who Challenged Hitler by Phillip Hoose
A History of Glitter and Blood by Hannah Moskowitz

 Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer by Kelly Jones


8 comments:

  1. I adored We Are All Made of Molecules, which surprised me, and Unusual Chickens, too. You are the second person I've read who liked The Nest, but most people don't. Ooh! Boys Who Challenged Hitler. Another good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that most people you know didn't like The Nest. My experience has been the opposite. Of my 9 Goodreads friends who have read it, 7 gave it 5 stars and 2 gave it 4 stars. It currently has 5 starred reviews from journals as well.

      Delete
  2. Lumberjanes piques my interest just because of the name. I'll have to check it out. I see your reading Circus Mirandus. That is such a wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy Circus Mirandus!
    Everyone is reading THE NEST, and I want to because I love Oppel and trust many of you; however, I am so scared of scary books!

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Circus Mirandus was one of my favorites this year. I hope you enjoy the rest of it! I love how you tackle a lot of books at once. You have the same style as me. :) I need to read Nest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I need to pick up The Nest so badly - I've really enjoyed Oppel's works, and I do love an eery story, especially at this time of year.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have so many exciting books here. I loved Molecules and just had a teacher come and tell me she was going to do it as a class read aloud. I discovered from her that characters from The Word Nerd, make their way into every book. (This was news to me) I also enjoyed Circus Mirandus. I've got The Nest and Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer. I just need to find more time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I own a copy of The Sleeper and the Spindle but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Perhaps this weekend? We still don't have The Nest in our libraries unfortunately. Circus Mirandus was an enjoyable read. Really looking forward to starting Red Queen very soon. I need to be lost in a fantastical world stat.

    ReplyDelete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!