Pages

Monday, January 11, 2016

Currently Reading 1/11/16

Head over to Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers to see all the roundups!

Haven't posted an "It's Monday! What Are You Reading?" Post since November, so I decided, instead of trying to include everything I read in December, I'd just start fresh with what I've read this first week in January (although I did read a few super good books in December: definitely check out Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer

I have, however, been posting a ton so far in 2016, in case you missed it, here are my 2016 Printz Predictions and my Personal Picks for the 2016 Printz.  I am also hoping to do a post later on today about my thoughts on the actually winners (for the first time EVER my favorite book of the year won!  yipee!)

I've had a really bad reading attention span this week, jumping from book to book that I thought *might* be announced this morning and not finishing much, but I did read 2 quite good books this week: 

READ:
 
Shadowshaper by Daniel Jose Older: I don't think it completely works in every aspect, but it's so ambitious that even its not quite working is better than many novels. I liked the characters a lot (although the villain was very vague) and the dialogue, urban setting, and premise were fantastic. It's a little awkward here and there with a little too much exposition that didn't quite make sense, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. ****

My Pet Human by Yasmine Surovec: A very simple chapter book, but it's absolutely adorable in every way. As someone who is hyper sensitive to all living creatures, I particularly appreciated how the reader is assured that no one (not even the snake - he's just playing dead!) was hurt in these escapades. ****

CURRENTLY READING:
The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly by Staphanie Oakes
Circus Mirandus by Cassie Beasley
Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge


Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
Out of Darkness by Ashley Hope Pérez
Mosquitoland by David Arnold

 
Razorhurst by Justine Larbalestier
Ask the Passengers by A.S. King
Audacity by Melanie Crowder

 Most Dangerous by Steve Sheinkin
The Hired Girl by Laura Amy Schlitz

 TO READ:
Shake Hands Forever by Ruth Rendell
The Love Curse of the Rumbaughs by Jack Gantos
Last Night I Sang to the Monster by Benjamin Alire Sáenz



Echo by Pam Muñoz Ryan
Tighter by Adele Griffin
I Love I Hate I Miss My Sister by Amélie Sarn

Ghosts of Heaven by Marcus Sedgwick



16 comments:

  1. I have those weeks where I flit from book to book. I thought last week was going to be like that, but I did settle down to finish one book yesterday in the snow. I loved The Red Queen and am looking forward to the next. I did see that there is a teaser collection of related stories out to tide readers over until the next in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that teaser collection when I was in Wal-mart of all places! I got really excited thinking that book 2 had come out, then saw it was the teaser.

      Delete
  2. Love Circus Mirandus and Echo! Sometimes it's tough to read when it's super busy at school & through the holidays. I've decided to just relax and do the best I can. Reading is supposed to be fun and I don't want to get stressed out trying to keep up with all of the lists. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great attitude to have! It's so important to keep the right perspective that anything read is an accomplishment!

      Delete
  3. I see a few titles that I saw on the webcast this morning! Need to get to some more YA titles this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always exciting to hear titles you've read or are currently reading announced as award winners!

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to read Hired Girl - I've heard nothing but amazing stuff about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not very far into it yet, but it's very well done and I can see it being super popular with fans of Little House and Anne of Green Gables and other classics of that vein.

      Delete
  5. You totally called Out of Darkness. I had your comment running through my head when they announced the honor. :)

    I devoured Circus Mirandus and Most Dangerous. Those are my favorites from above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, that's the best I've done on predictions ever! Now I need to just finish actually reading the book!

      Delete
  6. Shadowshaper and mosquitoland are on my list and I hope to get to them soon. I enjoyed Circus Mirandas and hope you do too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Circus Mirandus is very magical and so lovely. I hope you enjoy Shadowshaper as much as I did. (just about 1/3 of the way through Mosquitoland and am not sure how I feel yet).

      Delete
  7. I have Echo on my to read list also since it did so well at the ALA Awards. I want to try the audio.

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard the audio is amazing! That's my method of choice for this book too. I hope to start it soon.

      Delete
  8. I am booktalking Shadowshaper to my book club on Sunday - which is tough because I haven't read the novel yet, so I appreciate reading your thoughts about it. Last Night I sang to the Monster is an immensely powerful read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shadowshaper is a great book for a book talk. I anticipate teens will really love it.

      Delete

Please use your first name or a username when commenting. The conversation will have an easier flow if we don't have a bunch of anonymous comments. Thank you!